couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chintan Mishra <chin...@rebhu.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and future
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2019 10:57:48 GMT
Hello!!

> Perhaps you could expand on what the couchdb project should do to “target IoT device
developers” with a proposal of the work you would undertake to deliver it if the wider community
agrees?

Before presenting a formal proposal I would like to understand how
people who have devoted their time and effort to the CouchDB ecosystem
would like to see it grow. This includes the developers, maintainers,
marketers, and users alike. They may have a better future for CouchDB
ecosystem in their minds. If the IoT future doesn't excite them then the
whole discussion is in vain. Their excitement about the future they are
building will help fuel the growth of CouchDB.

I will eventually send the proposal in case of low number of response.

On 08/07/19 3:43 PM, Robert Samuel Newson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Jan has also posted, the CouchDB project does have a position on what it is for and
we have been around for over a decade so we have seen what people use it for (both successfully
or otherwise). I don’t recognise the lack of focus you are implying.

> If you, or indeed anyone, has suggestions about future direction, or how the project
runs or presents itself, you are invited to post those suggestions to the mailing list for
wider consideration. The recent post on marketing@, and all these replies to it, have not
made anything concrete enough for anyone to respond to so far.

> Perhaps you could expand on what the couchdb project should do to “target IoT device
developers” with a proposal of the work you would undertake to deliver it if the wider community
agrees?

> B.
>
>> On 8 Jul 2019, at 10:16, Chintan Mishra <chintan@rebhu.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> On 08/07/19 1:32 PM, Robert Samuel Newson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I understand what marketing is, but I also understand how this project is organised.
decisions must be made, which is why I asked that the conversation moved here. Not many are
signed up to the marketing mailing list.

>>> I hear and share your concerns about “IBM employees” (and I am one, but was
not one for the majority of my involvement with CouchDB, like all the others that are now
IBM employees). We have bylaws and a code of conduct and a PMC with many non-IBM employees.
It should go without saying that those committers and PMC members who are also IBM employees
are mature adults capable of working in open source with integrity. Were that ever to stop
being the case, there would be consequences.

>>> The conversations about future direction (foundationdb et al) happened here on
this mailing list and everyone was welcome to raise the concerns you did. Those conversations,
and RFC’s, will continue to happen here. Ultimately, the project moves forward in the direction
that active contributions take it under the watchful eye of the PMC.

>>> Chitan’s thoughts on IoT are very welcome, which is why I wanted the conversation
here, where project ideas can be discussed with everyone interested in them. I also hope my
reply that pointed out why CouchDB is not yet ideal for IoT was constructive. It is not just
a question of marketing CouchDB as it is today, it should inform CouchDB project direction.

>>> B.
>>> either
>> Johs raised some genuine concerns.We all are raising our voice/concern because we
believe in CouchDB. I have failed to see the masses love it as I do. I have been using CouchDB
for around 1.5 years, probably lot lesser than most other subscribers here. In this time,
I quickly realized that CouchDB is sitting on an underutilized goldmine. I share the concerns
raised by Johs regarding unclear market, lack of unique competitive advantage, and unclear
future direction while keeping existing user base. These are all the things that confused
me in 2016 while deciding a suitable NoSQL Document DB for my use case. After trying 3 NoSQL
Document DB, I was lucky to finally choose CouchDB.

>> Robert, I understand bylaws and other rules in place are for us to keep this civil,
maintainable, and organized.

>> We are living in an era where products are consumer centric and some discussions
will not have a clear boundary. The discussions will revolve around tech and market. Most
of the time we will end up discussing both. We will talk about arising the customer/developer/industry
needs and how we can build CouchDB which helps them excel. I see why IoT stuff cannot be done
right now. And I wouldn't recommend as it is today.

>> CouchDB led the way by realizing that future infrastructure will hugely rely on HTTP
and built the first DB with a HTTP API for accessing and manipulating data. Newer advancements
in technologies will always demand us to rethink our market position. We need to discuss that
few years from now when IoTs, spatial/location-based services(drones, self-driving vehicles),
analytic, etc. are the new normal then who will still use CouchDB despite other products in
the market. Once we have figured who we want to build for, we all can start focusing on building
it.

>> PS: If you have 180 seconds to kill: https://youtu.be/DFeeNLElBgU
>>
>> Regards
>> Chintan

project direction, post to the dev mailing list instead.
and a dicipline that arose in the 1960's as two previous concepts failed to capture the challenge
of bringing products to the market.

you could focus on production, the market would swallow all available products (early days
of mass production and hitech dev)
needs and wants in the market to which products could be developed in order to create value
for the user/customer.
was: Marketing is to create value and retain a fair share of that value.

to the pre-1960's thinking of how to bring a product to market.

employees, and that new versions will require major workovers of CouchDB without concern as
to:

this is based on another theory that has been known since the 60's ("The diffusion of innovation"
by Everett Rogers), popularised and brought to hitech in the early 90's by Jeff More's "Crossing
the chasm".

kind of marketing discussion that CouchDB would benefit greatly from inviting.

is running erlang there coupled with our clustering stack. To scale everything down to fit
within the typical constraints of an embedded device requires effort, I don’t think couch
“just works” there.

is what I refer to by “getting harder in the future”. While fdb does scale down well,
it might still need porting to platforms it’s not currently supported on.

care must be taken, especially around the core notion that couch retains information about
a deleted document forever. This small amount of data can build up, and you need to plan for
it.

talking just about producing blog posts or other materials to promote couchdb for that market?

work. Running couchdb on embedded devices is already a challenge and it’s only going to
get harder in future. As a server side hub, the retention of a small amount of data after
document deletion presents further problems.

discuss project direction, post to the dev mailing list instead.

deploying CouchDB on embedded devices? Also, what is going to get harder in the future?