couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hall <fli...@flimzy.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] A direction from a non-contributor
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2019 10:12:02 GMT

> Does Kivik aim to become UnQL-alternative for any database independent
> of its design?

Kivik aims to provide a pluggable, fully-functional driver for Go
programs interacting with CouchDB, and to provide tooling to facilitate
the testing, automation, and maintenance of apps using CouchDB.  I have
no personal goals relating to UnQL. That doesn't mean it couldn't be
done if someone has the desire to do it.

It should be possible to create a UnQL (or even SQL) frontend for Kivik.
It's just a matter of someone taking the time to design the spec, and
implement it.  If you, or someone else, wants to undertake such a
project, I'm happy to provide whatever support I can, when it comes to
interacting with Kivik. And I'd love to link to the project once it's
released.

Jonathan