couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Dave Cottlehuber" <...@skunkwerks.at>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Attachment support in CouchDB with FDB
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:09:28 GMT
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019, at 13:19, Robert Newson wrote
> Thanks to you both, and I agree.
>
> Adam's "I would like to see a basic “native” attachment provider with
> the limitations described in 2), as well as an “object store” provider
> targeting the S3 API." is my position/preference too.

ditto. node local storage works for me, this is the single node case which is important to
have not just for devs but any small environment.

there is a plethora of clustered file systems waiting to eat your data if 1 node isnt enough,
and while i dont enjoy the s3 api it is widespread with many options for using and self hosting.

range queries are useful to me (thanks Bob!) but if its a deal killer I'd  find a workaround,
probably a proxy http server.

random thought - if we stored in fdb a url as a pointer then whipping up a generic proxy would
be reasonably easy and could deal with file system and s3 alike:

file:///usr/local/filesystem
https://my.cdn.com/
s3://aws.clone.com/

this would need to have suitable credentials in couch and some way of knowing which credentials
go with which db or remote..o0O

in terms of storing full content say 100s of mb in fdb as Bob's outlined, is the main concern
handling potentially failed  partial  uploads? like our current b tree lost space? or are
there other issues as well?

if so, one could imagine using a temporary key while receiving chunks, and only on completion
moving those into the correct store?

A+
Dave