couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: removing view changes code from mrview
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2018 14:23:57 GMT
+1.

1. No one has worked on a fix since its contribution prior to 2.0.
2. The code will always be in git in an older revision if someone is looking for it.
3. We have #592 which describes the fundamental problem that needs to be resolved. (By the
way, with my PMC hat on, you should unassign this issue from yourself unless you're actively
working on it *right now*.)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eiri" <eiri@eiri.ca>
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:15:21 AM
Subject: Proposal: removing view changes code from mrview

Hi all,

It is my understanding that a current implementation of view changes in mrview is conceptually
broken. I heard from Robert Newson that he and Benjamin Bastian found that some time ago doing
testing with deletion and recreation of docs emitting same keys in the views.

I propose to remove view changes code from mrview and its mention from documentation, as it
seem that people keep trying to use those for filtered replication or getting a false impression
that it's a simple fix in fabric. Not to mention that the current implementation quite complicates
mrviews code and takes space in view files with building unneeded seq and kseq btrees.

We can re-implement this feature later in more robust way as there are clearly a demand for
it. Please share your opinion.

Regards,
Eric