couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: post 2.1 - gitlab or github
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2017 20:08:02 GMT
Heya,

thanks for the feedback.
> On 4. Aug 2017, at 21:10, support-tiger <support@tigernassau.com> wrote:
>
> As more of  newer / outsider couch/pouch users, have to say that Gitlab (which we really
like) or Github seem to offer much more in terms of descriptions of commits, issues, easier
pull request management, .......

CouchDB is on GitHub, most development happens here: http://github.com/apache/couchdb

> one year between releases seems much too long - maybe okay for a production release with
a much more often developer version.

We wholeheartedly agree and a lot of the work that went into 2.1 is allowing us to make more
stable releases faster.

That said, in a world of JavaScript Framework of the Week, we’re a database and that means
we have to do things at a different pace.

CouchDB is responsible for many magnitudes of terabytes of data and at the core of many crucial
business, civic infrastructure and healthcare applications and all our users trust that CouchDB
will hold on to that data reliably. That’s a responsibility we all take very seriously,
so things are happening at a more deliberate and necessarily slower pace.

We realise that this makes CouchDB less attractive to the casual contributor, and we want
to make that better in the areas we see relevant, but I think we collectively appreciate the
slower pace, so everyone here has enough time to keep up with everything, to make sure everybody
had a chance to think through any new code, and thus reduce the amount of errors we end up
shipping.

Best
Jan