couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Millay <ryan.p.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Info Density and Fauxton
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2017 15:48:53 GMT
Hello CouchDB dev community!

Garren Smith and I wanted to highlight a new change that just landed in
Fauxton a few days ago.  After receiving consistent feedback about low
information density in Fauxton, we finally had a chance to do something
about it!

Users will now have the option to view their results in three different
formats.  By default, Fauxton now renders results in a tabular "Metadata"
format.  This is a listing of all results when include_docs is omitted.
The remaining two options are the original "JSON" and "Table" formats,
however both now default to include_docs=true.  Don't worry though, you can
still manipulate include_docs and all other query parameters in the Query
Options panel.

Behind the scenes we've also replaced much of the state-flow logic with
Redux.js, which has greatly simplified our codebase, especially
pagination.  Pagination in Fauxton has consistently been a challenge and
has been riddled with bugs from odd edge cases.  This new implementation
mitigates most, if not all, of those issues.

This is the first step in a larger effort to redesign/refactor Fauxton.  We
hope to introduce Redux.js to more areas, while also removing older
Backbone.js and Flux.js code.  Plus, there are several mockups available
focussed on improving visual consistency across the board.

Screenshots for the curious:
Metadata format:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1y63b6ty08ul0ya/metadata.png?dl=0
Table format:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi1l2238m2fxb20/table.png?dl=0