couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hall <mhall...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Publisher account for CouchDB snap
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2017 15:20:04 GMT
On 12/20/2016 01:56 PM, Eli Stevens (Gmail) wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Michael Hall <mhall119@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/19/2016 06:23 PM, Eli Stevens (Gmail) wrote:

>>> - Is it possible to disable automatic updates for snaps?
>>
>> It's possible, I don't know the details of it though. Can you tell me
>> what your concern is with leaving it on?
>
> The FDA requires us to produce documentation detailing the versions of
> 3rd party software we use to construct our product, and attest to the
> suitability of those versions for the purpose that we're using them
> for. Maintaining the proper documentation gets a lot harder when the
> version can get swapped out from underneath us without warning. And if
> there's an actual incompatibility, that means that cancer patients
> might not be able to start their course of treatment on time, which
> the patients, clinical staff, and our director of customer support all
> agree is undesirable.  ;)

Hi Eli, sorry for taking to long to get an answer for you on this, I had
to find someone in Canonical who could tell me what the options are, and
then it appears I accidentally deleted this email thread.

The Snap store that Canonical runs has a features called "Update
control" designed for device makers, which lets them specify what
versions of other snaps can be installed on their device. This would let
you specify, in your own snap, which version of couchdb will be used on
your device. You can then update that information in your snap in the
store, and all of your devices will see that only then will they update
couchdb to the new version.

This is a commercial feature of the store, it's not available to regular
application snap developers. I'd be happy to put you in touch with
someone at Canonical who can tell you more about it and help you get
setup with it.

--
Michael Hall
mhall119@gmail.com