couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FOSDEM 2017 Open Source Conference - Brussels
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:59:09 GMT
And a few more pointers:

- https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/making-tech-spaces-safe-for-diverse-faces
- https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/a-code-of-conduct-is-not-enough

All from the excellent https://modelviewculture.com/issues/events — which is worth your
time.

Best
Jan
--

> On 12 Jan 2017, at 15:13, Sharan F <sharan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Jan
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I attended FOSDEM last year and wasn't aware of any of these issues. If you can let me
have any specifics that you'd like to share (either here or offlist) then I'll make a point
of looking into it.

> Thanks
> Sharan
>
> On 12/01/17 14:12, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> CouchDB Dev list & Sharan,
>>
>> I would not recommend attending FOSDEM.
>>
>> Their Code of Conduct is not up to modern standards (despite numerous attempts asking
for improvement) and their past year’s incident handling has been sub-par to say the least.

>> Your mileage my vary.
>>
>> Best
>> Jan
>> --
>>

>>> On 12 Jan 2017, at 13:12, Sharan F <sharan@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Everyone
>>>
>>> This email is to tell you about ASF participation at FOSDEM. The event will be
held in Brussels on 4^th & 5^th February 2017 and we are hoping that many people from
our ASF projects will be there.

>>> https://fosdem.org/2017/
>>>
>>> Attending FOSDEM is completely free and the ASF will again be running a booth
there. Our main focus will on talking to people about the ASF, our projects and communities.

>>> *_Why Attend FOSDEM?_*
>>> Some reasons for attending FOSDEM are:
>>>
>>> 1. Promoting your project: FOSDEM has up to 4-5000 attendees so is a
>>>  great place to spread the word about your project
>>> 2. Learning, participating and meeting up: FOSDEM is a developers
>>>  conference so includes presentations covering a range of
>>>  technologies and includes lots of topic specific devrooms
>>>
>>> _*FOSDEM Wiki *_
>>> A page on the Community Development wiki has been created with the main details
about our involvement at conference, so please take a look

>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/FOSDEM+2017
>>>
>>> If you would like to spend some time on the ASF booth promoting your project
then please sign up on the FOSDEM wiki page. Initially we would like to split this into slots
of 3-4 hours but this will depend on the number of projects that are represented.

>>> We are also looking for volunteers to help out on the booth over the 2 days of
the conference, so if you are going to be there and are willing to help then please add your
name to the volunteer list.

>>> _*Project Stickers*_
>>> If you are going to be at FOSDEM and do not have any project stickers to give
away then we may (budget permitting) be able to help you get some printed. Please contact
me with your requirements.

>>> _*Social Event*_
>>> Some people have asked about organising an ASF social event / meetup during the
conference. This is possible but we will need know how many people are interested and which
date works best. The FOSDEM wiki page also contains an 'Arrival / Departure' section so so
please add your details if you would like to participate.

>>> I hope this helps people see some of the advantages of attending FOSDEM and we
are looking forward to seeing lots of people there from our ASF communities.