couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FOSDEM 2017 Open Source Conference - Brussels
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:55:11 GMT

> On 12 Jan 2017, at 15:44, Rich Bowen <rbowen@apache.org> wrote:
>

> On 2017-01-12 08:12 (-0500), Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> CouchDB Dev list & Sharan,
>>
>> I would not recommend attending FOSDEM.
>>
>> Their Code of Conduct is not up to modern standards (despite numerous attempts asking
for improvement) and their past year’s incident handling has been sub-par to say the
least.

>> Your mileage my vary.
>

> They've got a CoC this year - https://fosdem.org/2017/practical/conduct/ -  which is
a step in the right direction. While I agree that FOSDEM has a LONG way to go in terms of
diversity, I think we should celebrate a step in the right direction, while also encouraging
more steps.

> I think they're trying to move in the right direction, and need our help.

This is the same CoC three years running, despite feedback. The handling of issues last and
year before that was non-existant (I can’t share details, obviously), so I have little hope,
let alone cause to celebrate.

I’m not concerned about diversity, but people’s safety. The volunteer team is not equipped
or even prepared to handle incidents concerning personal safety, and have in the past, exacerbated
the problem even. We can talk diversity when we got safety done. Maslov’s hierarchy and
all.

> To be blunt, as a young white man with a long beard, I think that you are in a pretty
good position to help that process. I don't agree that boycotting the event is what's helpful.

I’ve spent my share the past three years trying to educate them to no avail. I personally
don’t feel safe at their event. I just want to make sure people don’t go in without knowing
this.

> With a great deal of help from Sharan, there's a Community devroom this year, and there's
a Documentation track that has community-focused talks, and I feel like the event is making
a concerted effort to improve this particular aspect. But they're at the point in the process
where they can use a lot of help.

> Having a CoC (even a well written one) is, as you are keenly aware, only part of the
larger picture. I'd love to see you (like, you, Jan, specifically) stand up to volunteer to
be part of the FOSDEM committee for 2018 to specifically address this issue. I can't think
of anyone better.

I’d suggest the devroom adapts this: http://confcodeofconduct.com (which I help maintain),
or similar, if that doesn’t exist already. Other devrooms have had better CoCs than FOSDEM
in general in the past, so making sure the ASF one is up to snuff is the least we can do.

This isn’t do distract from the hard work that goes into FOSDEM or the ASF devroom there,
but this is the absolute minimum you need to do BEFORE you run an event these days.

Best
Jan