couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Sun <tony.sun...@gmail.com>
Subject Disable "index all" default capability with mango text indexes
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2016 20:19:34 GMT
Hi all,

In mango, once a user has correctly setup text search, he or she can create
a simple text index with:

{
"type" : "text"
}

This default basically indexes every field in a document for the entire db.
Unfortunately, for large dbs, this is resource intensive. Even with
warnings, users tend to favor this default behavior because it allows them
to quickly being querying the db.

In rare instances, if users have nested complex arrays, then thousands of
unique field names are generate and could lead to JVM heap exhaustion.
We've seen in production that this scenario can disable a cluster.

I've entertained the idea of disabling this default behavior. The biggest
concern is of course that existing application apis which depend on this
default behavior will be affected. I'll think about various solutions to
mitigate the impact, but I wanted to throw this out there to see if people
are in agreement that we should do this.

Thanks,

Tony