couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wickedg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Publisher account for CouchDB snap
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 18:56:32 GMT
On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Michael Hall <mhall119@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/2016 06:23 PM, Eli Stevens (Gmail) wrote:
>> I'll have some people on my team get on that as soon as we have time;
>> probably after the new year.
>>

> Thanks! If they have any questions or need help, I'm mhall119 in
> #couchdb-dev or they can email me directly.

Thanks, will do.

> In that case, you could have your script run "snap install couchdb" and
> then copy the configuration and data files into the snap's locations

Perfect.

>> - Is it possible to disable automatic updates for snaps?
>
> It's possible, I don't know the details of it though. Can you tell me
> what your concern is with leaving it on?

The FDA requires us to produce documentation detailing the versions of
3rd party software we use to construct our product, and attest to the
suitability of those versions for the purpose that we're using them
for. Maintaining the proper documentation gets a lot harder when the
version can get swapped out from underneath us without warning. And if
there's an actual incompatibility, that means that cancer patients
might not be able to start their course of treatment on time, which
the patients, clinical staff, and our director of customer support all
agree is undesirable.  ;)

>From a practical perspective, most of our clients don't allow the
systems in their data center access to the internet anyway (our
systems have a considerable amount of medical records with patient
identifying information, so that makes sense), and I'd rather not
bifurcate the install base any more than necessary.

> Snaps can run on 14.04, but that's as far back as we've been able to
> support, since snapd and snap-confine depend on newer kernel features
> and systemd. And since 12.04 is going to be EOL next year, I hope you're
> planning an upgrade of those systems anyway,

Right now, we're planning on letting hardware attrition (and resulting
replacements) drive the transition off of 12.04. I don't recall the
exact details, but we were having issues getting grub to not insist
that someone hit enter during the first boot after upgrade, which
violates our "upgrades must be headless" requirement.

The impending EOL and unavailability of CouchDB 2.0 might cause us to
revisit that decision.

> I'd love to hear how that goes, any feedback you can give me about using
> the snap I will funnel back to the snappy development team so they can
> improve it.

Sounds great.  :)

Cheers,
Eli