couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Reddy B. <redd...@live.fr>
Subject RE: Couchdb views crashing for large documents
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2016 10:10:55 GMT

 I can see that erl.exe actually crashes during the indexing, can someone please tell me if
the dump looks normal  ?

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=39457175902042589414

I don't know what to think about the :

processes_used: 2477758424

And more generally can't read between the lines yet with Erlang stuff. This is the first time
CouchDb ever breaks for me, and as usual this kind of thing always happen at the worst time
possible.

These documents are basically books (storing them as one is better for design reasons). If
I remove them all, and only post one book, the indexing goes without any issue. I can somehow
live with that for time being - thanks God I own the product.... - but I cannot realistically
expect that carefully indexing one big document at a time can be a mid-term solution for an
application in production.

I can recognize when I'm sitting on a bombshell, and I'm a bit concerned right now.

________________________________
De : Reddy B. <reddy.b@live.fr>
Envoyé : mercredi 23 novembre 2016 16:06
À : Reddy B.; dev@couchdb.apache.org
Objet : Couchdb views crashing for large documents

Hello all !

Does somebody have any idea regarding the following ?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40752578/couchdb-views-crashing-for-large-documents

[http://cdn.sstatic.net/Sites/stackoverflow/img/apple-touch-icon@2.png?v=73d79a89bded&a]<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40752578/couchdb-views-crashing-for-large-documents>

Couchdb views crashing for large documents<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40752578/couchdb-views-crashing-for-large-documents>
stackoverflow.com
Couchdb keeps crashing whenever I try to build the index of the views of a design document
emitting values for large documents. The total size of the database is 40 MB and I guess the
documents are...

I've copied and pasted the question below for easy skimming :

up votedown votefavorite<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40752578/couchdb-views-crashing-for-large-documents#>

Couchdb keeps crashing whenever I try to build the index of the views of a design document
emitting values for large documents. The total size of the database is 40 MB and I guess the
documents are about 5 MB each. We're talking about large JSON without any attachment.

What concerns me is that I have 2.5 GB of free ram before trying to access the views but as
soon as I try to access them, the CPU usage raises to 99% and all the free RAM gets eaten
by erl.exebefore the indexing fails with exit code 1.

Here is the log:

[info] 2016-11-22T22:07:52.263000Z couchdb@localhost <0.212.0> -------- couch_proc_manager
<0.15603.334> died normal

[error] 2016-11-22T22:07:52.264000Z couchdb@localhost <0.15409.334> b9855eea74 rexi_server
throw:{os_process_error,{exit_status,1}} [{couch_mrview_util,get_view,4,[{file,"src/couch_mrview_util.erl"},{line,56}]},{couch_mrview,query_view,6,[{file,"src/couch_mrview.erl"},{line,244}]},{rexi_server,init_p,3,[{file,"src/rexi_server.erl"},{line,139}]}]

Views skipping these documents can be accessed without issue. Which general guidelines could
you provide me to help with this kind of situation? I am using couchdb 2.0 on windows.

Many thanks

        Tried to increase the size of couchjs using various values for ./bin/couchjs -S MAX_RAM_TO_USE_IN_BYTES
./share/server/main.js without success.

I noticed that several instances of couchjs are started when I try to access the view perhaps,
is there a way to restrict the number of concurrent couchjs instances to 1 ?