couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wickedg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Couchdb views crashing for large documents
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2016 03:36:33 GMT
When bitten by similar issues, I've found that moving large data
fields to attachments can work around the size issue. As long as you
don't need that data for indexing, it works well.

Cheers,
Eli

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 2:10 AM, Reddy B. <reddy.b@live.fr> wrote:

>  I can see that erl.exe actually crashes during the indexing, can someone please tell
me if the dump looks normal  ?

> http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=39457175902042589414
>

> I don't know what to think about the :
>
> processes_used: 2477758424
>
> And more generally can't read between the lines yet with Erlang stuff. This is the first
time CouchDb ever breaks for me, and as usual this kind of thing always happen at the worst
time possible.

> These documents are basically books (storing them as one is better for design reasons).
If I remove them all, and only post one book, the indexing goes without any issue. I can somehow
live with that for time being - thanks God I own the product.... - but I cannot realistically
expect that carefully indexing one big document at a time can be a mid-term solution for an
application in production.

> I can recognize when I'm sitting on a bombshell, and I'm a bit concerned right now.
>
> ________________________________

emitting values for large documents. The total size of the database is 40 MB and I guess the
documents are...

> I've copied and pasted the question below for easy skimming :
>
> up votedown votefavorite<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40752578/couchdb-views-crashing-for-large-documents#>
>

> Couchdb keeps crashing whenever I try to build the index of the views of a design document
emitting values for large documents. The total size of the database is 40 MB and I guess the
documents are about 5 MB each. We're talking about large JSON without any attachment.

> What concerns me is that I have 2.5 GB of free ram before trying to access the views
but as soon as I try to access them, the CPU usage raises to 99% and all the free RAM gets
eaten by erl.exebefore the indexing fails with exit code 1.

> Here is the log:
>
> [info] 2016-11-22T22:07:52.263000Z couchdb@localhost <0.212.0> -------- couch_proc_manager
<0.15603.334> died normal

> [error] 2016-11-22T22:07:52.264000Z couchdb@localhost <0.15409.334> b9855eea74
rexi_server throw:{os_process_error,{exit_status,1}} [{couch_mrview_util,get_view,4,[{file,"src/couch_mrview_util.erl"},{line,56}]},{couch_mrview,query_view,6,[{file,"src/couch_mrview.erl"},{line,244}]},{rexi_server,init_p,3,[{file,"src/rexi_server.erl"},{line,139}]}]

> Views skipping these documents can be accessed without issue. Which general guidelines
could you provide me to help with this kind of situation? I am using couchdb 2.0 on windows.

> Many thanks
>

>         Tried to increase the size of couchjs using various values for ./bin/couchjs
-S MAX_RAM_TO_USE_IN_BYTES ./share/server/main.js without success.

> I noticed that several instances of couchjs are started when I try to access the view
perhaps, is there a way to restrict the number of concurrent couchjs instances to 1 ?