couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hall <mhall...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB 2.0 as Snap
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 12:39:09 GMT
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long delay, but I got some help from a coworker and
between the two of us we have fixed the issue with the systemd service.

If you put the attached files into a directory with the couchdb
directory from ./rel/ you get after building, then run "snapcraft snap"
you will get a ~40MB couchdb_2.0_amd64.snap (or whatever arch you're on)
that, when installed with "snap install couchdb_2.0_amd64.snap
--force-dangerous" will get you a running couchdb instance on
http://localhost:5984 (see attached screenshot). The --force-dangerous
is only needed because it's a local (untrusted) file, once it's being
published into the snap store that won't be needed and user can install
it with a simple "snap install couchdb".

It's configured to put local.ini and couchdb.log into SNAP_DATA, which
will be /var/snap/couchdb/<version>/ and the actual database files in
SNAP_COMMON which will be /var/snap/couchdb/common/. The first will be
forward-copied every time you install a new version, the second is
unversioned so you won't be duplicating large database files on upgrades.

I'd like to get this into upstream now that it produces a working snap,
and from there it can be improved as needed based on feedback from users.

Michael Hall
mhall119@gmail.com

On 09/19/2016 07:36 PM, Robert Newson wrote:
> Make a separate systemd service for epmd and have the couch one depend on it. There is
a parameter you can add to couch's vm.args file to prevent it even trying to start epmd.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 19 Sep 2016, at 22:47, Michael Hall <mhall119@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to help from Jan and Wohali on IRC, I was able to manually build
>> couchdb from the 2.0.x branch, and then snap-package the resulting
>> binary. I have attached the snapcraft.yaml used for this. Put this file
>> in a directory with the couchdb directory built in ./rel/, then run
>> "snapcraft snap" to build couchdb_2.0_amd64.snap
>>
>> The snap package will create a systemd service file for running couchdb
>> as a daemon, but due to the way it launches a background epmd process
>> this isn't working right (systemd thinks it failed to start and keeps
>> trying to restart it until it givesup). Because of that, I've also
>> included a /snap/bin/couchdb.run which will manually kick it off, but
>> this should only be temporary until the daemon process can be fixed.
>>
>> One last caveat, you'll need to copy /snap/couchdb/current/etc/*.ini
>> into /var/snap/couchdb/current/ and mkdir /var/snap/couchdb/current/data
>> before running it. This could be done at runtime either by couchdb
>> itself, or with a custom wrapper script for the snap command.
>>
>> Michael Hall
>> mhall119@gmail.com

>>> Please use the `2.0.x` branch.
>>>
>>> Best