couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Olafur Arason <olaf...@olafura.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Next
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 10:43:41 GMT
Hi it's been awhile since I did anything with CouchDB, though I've done a
lot of projects in the past, here are the open source ones:
https://github.com/olafura/sundaytasks-py
https://github.com/olafura/sundaydata
https://github.com/olafura/PouchFlux

I'm mostly doing Elixir development now but I got started with Erlang
because of CouchDB. But I have to say that Elixir is much nicer. After I
started using Elixir I even had some ideas about translating the the http
interface into Elixir and did a project that could do that:
https://github.com/olafura/beam_to_ex_ast
https://github.com/olafura/beam_to_ex

So I'm really excited if you do end up using Elixir since it will help with
tests, ease of getting into the project and make it hopefully less painful
to refactor some parts and have docs for functions. But I don't know how
much time I can spend since my last project that relied on CouchDB had a
lot of issues with syncing to the browser with PouchDB and people's
unfamiliarity with map reduce instead of SQL. Plus the delayed schedule of
2.0. Now I'm working with Absinthe for a Relay backend and it seems to
function well. I'm doing financial calculations with some interesting ways
of processing it hopefully open sourced in the near future, the processing
part.

About the diffing I wouldn't go with json diff spec it's way too verbose. I
have a library that does json diffing in Elixir and uses a very good format
from a JavaScript library I had used before:
https://github.com/olafura/json_diff_ex

I hope the next time I can do a project in CouchDB it will be a Elixir Plug
maybe with Relay syncing, or maybe websocket or both ;)

Regards,
Olaf