couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Checking for cluster peers using SRV records on startup
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2016 00:14:41 GMT
I'd be for adding SRV records as long as we make it extensible so that
others can add support for whatever services they want as well. As SRV
records can be a bit problematic with larger clusters.

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Andy Wenk <andywenk@apache.org> wrote:
> I never heard of SRV and had a overview look at the RFC. I believe this would be of great
value including it and make it easier for new users to get a cluster setup running.

> +1
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>
> --
> Andy Wenk
> RockIt!
>
> Hamburg / Germany
>
> GPG public key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x4F1D0C59BC90917D
>
>> On 7 Oct 2016, at 19:08, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> This sounds useful, +1
>>
>> Best
>> Jan
>> --
>>
>>> On 07 Oct 2016, at 03:57, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Lately I’ve been thinking about how to ease the onramp for users to get a clustered
CouchDB setup running. I think the Kubernetes work shows a lot of promise. One of the aspects
of that work is the service discovery element; each node in a cluster should be able to automatically
find its peers and connect to them. Kubernetes accomplishes this using SRV records; a DNS
lookup for a given named service will return the FQDNs of all the live members of the “Pet
Set”.

>>> The SRV approach is enough of a standard[1] that I wonder if we ought to code
for it directly in mem3. It’d eliminate the need for a “sidecar” container in Kubernetes
deployments and I can imagine that it will prove more generally useful. The idea would be
for mem3 to check if the CouchDB node is running in distributed node, and if it is, fire off
a DNS lookup on the domain name, then attempt to connect with any other targets that are included
in the record set in the DNS response.