couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB 2.0 as Snap
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 16:57:04 GMT
Nice work Michael!

I noticed your snap.ini overrides the bind address for both the cluster port and the node-local
port to have them listen on all interfaces. I think it’s worth discussing whether we want
that to be the default for the snap. There’s a reason CouchDB defaults to listening only
on the loopback interface. Otherwise it looks good to me.

Adam

> On Oct 6, 2016, at 8:39 AM, Michael Hall <mhall119@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> Sorry for the long delay, but I got some help from a coworker and
> between the two of us we have fixed the issue with the systemd service.
>
> If you put the attached files into a directory with the couchdb
> directory from ./rel/ you get after building, then run "snapcraft snap"
> you will get a ~40MB couchdb_2.0_amd64.snap (or whatever arch you're on)
> that, when installed with "snap install couchdb_2.0_amd64.snap
> --force-dangerous" will get you a running couchdb instance on
> http://localhost:5984 (see attached screenshot). The --force-dangerous
> is only needed because it's a local (untrusted) file, once it's being
> published into the snap store that won't be needed and user can install
> it with a simple "snap install couchdb".
>
> It's configured to put local.ini and couchdb.log into SNAP_DATA, which
> will be /var/snap/couchdb/<version>/ and the actual database files in
> SNAP_COMMON which will be /var/snap/couchdb/common/. The first will be
> forward-copied every time you install a new version, the second is
> unversioned so you won't be duplicating large database files on upgrades.
>
> I'd like to get this into upstream now that it produces a working snap,
> and from there it can be improved as needed based on feedback from users.
>
> Michael Hall
> mhall119@gmail.com
>
> On 09/19/2016 07:36 PM, Robert Newson wrote:
>> Make a separate systemd service for epmd and have the couch one depend on it. There
is a parameter you can add to couch's vm.args file to prevent it even trying to start epmd.

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 19 Sep 2016, at 22:47, Michael Hall <mhall119@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks to help from Jan and Wohali on IRC, I was able to manually build
>>> couchdb from the 2.0.x branch, and then snap-package the resulting
>>> binary. I have attached the snapcraft.yaml used for this. Put this file
>>> in a directory with the couchdb directory built in ./rel/, then run
>>> "snapcraft snap" to build couchdb_2.0_amd64.snap
>>>
>>> The snap package will create a systemd service file for running couchdb
>>> as a daemon, but due to the way it launches a background epmd process
>>> this isn't working right (systemd thinks it failed to start and keeps
>>> trying to restart it until it givesup). Because of that, I've also
>>> included a /snap/bin/couchdb.run which will manually kick it off, but
>>> this should only be temporary until the daemon process can be fixed.
>>>
>>> One last caveat, you'll need to copy /snap/couchdb/current/etc/*.ini
>>> into /var/snap/couchdb/current/ and mkdir /var/snap/couchdb/current/data
>>> before running it. This could be done at runtime either by couchdb
>>> itself, or with a custom wrapper script for the snap command.
>>>
>>> Michael Hall
>>> mhall119@gmail.com

If

intended across new