couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wickedg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding a node to cluster
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2016 22:55:00 GMT
Nodes in the cluster do not replicate to one another.

Replication takes place between databases. A single node isn't a
database; a clustered database spans multiple nodes.

Each node has a black-box lump of data that happens to have a fraction
of a database inside, but that's an implementation detail. It's the
wrong level of abstraction to work with.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Joey Samonte
<csharpdeveloper@hotmail.com> wrote:
> If you have two nodes in the cluster, the replication should be two-way between the nodes?
> What if there are three nodes? How should the replication be setup between them?
>
>> Subject: Re: Adding a node to cluster
>> From: sebastianrothbucher@googlemail.com
>> Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 23:08:04 +0200
>> To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> clustering and replication are indeed two (very) separate things - and you won't
get a Cluster by setting up replication. Again: treat the two as separate. Clustering turns
several shards (on several nodes) into one database (from an user/caller perspective) while
replication happens _between_ databases.
>> Consequently, technical underpinnings differ as well, as Bob explained below.
>>
>> Hope that gets things in perspective a little...
>>
>> Best
>>   Sebastian
>>
>> Von meinem iPhone gesendet
>>
>> > Am 05.09.2016 um 22:47 schrieb Joey Samonte <csharpdeveloper@hotmail.com>:
>> >
>> > Does this mean that setting up replication is separate from setting up clustering?
>> >
>> > Does replication needs to be bi-directional between nodes?

a couchdb 2.0 cluster do not communicate with each other over http. They use Erlang rpc. Erlang
rpc can be configured for TLS encryption.  It's in the Erlang faq and is fairly simple to
set up in newer Erlang releases.

to allow only SSL connections, port 6984? https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/How_to_enable_SSL

able to communicate with erlang rpc (service discovery over port 4369 and then whatever port
the node is running ong).

remote host is behind a reverse proxy (nginx) configured as HTTPS?