couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joey Samonte <csharpdevelo...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Adding a node to cluster
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2016 01:00:12 GMT
I think I understand it. Hoping to find more documentation on it.

> From: wickedgrey@gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 15:55:00 -0700
> Subject: Re: Adding a node to cluster
> To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
>
> Nodes in the cluster do not replicate to one another.
>
> Replication takes place between databases. A single node isn't a
> database; a clustered database spans multiple nodes.
>
> Each node has a black-box lump of data that happens to have a fraction
> of a database inside, but that's an implementation detail. It's the
> wrong level of abstraction to work with.
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Joey Samonte
> <csharpdeveloper@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > If you have two nodes in the cluster, the replication should be two-way between
the nodes?
> > What if there are three nodes? How should the replication be setup between them?
> >
> >> Subject: Re: Adding a node to cluster
> >> From: sebastianrothbucher@googlemail.com
> >> Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 23:08:04 +0200
> >> To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> clustering and replication are indeed two (very) separate things - and you won't
get a Cluster by setting up replication. Again: treat the two as separate. Clustering turns
several shards (on several nodes) into one database (from an user/caller perspective) while
replication happens _between_ databases.
> >> Consequently, technical underpinnings differ as well, as Bob explained below.
> >>
> >> Hope that gets things in perspective a little...
> >>
> >> Best
> >>   Sebastian
> >>
> >> Von meinem iPhone gesendet

in a couchdb 2.0 cluster do not communicate with each other over http. They use Erlang rpc.
Erlang rpc can be configured for TLS encryption.  It's in the Erlang faq and is fairly simple
to set up in newer Erlang releases.

nodes to allow only SSL connections, port 6984? https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/How_to_enable_SSL

be able to communicate with erlang rpc (service discovery over port 4369 and then whatever
port the node is running ong).

if the remote host is behind a reverse proxy (nginx) configured as HTTPS?