couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastian Rothbucher <sebastianrothbuc...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Adding a node to cluster
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2016 21:08:04 GMT
Hi,

clustering and replication are indeed two (very) separate things - and you won't get a Cluster
by setting up replication. Again: treat the two as separate. Clustering turns several shards
(on several nodes) into one database (from an user/caller perspective) while replication happens
_between_ databases.
Consequently, technical underpinnings differ as well, as Bob explained below.

Hope that gets things in perspective a little...

Best
  Sebastian

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

> Am 05.09.2016 um 22:47 schrieb Joey Samonte <csharpdeveloper@hotmail.com>:
>
> Does this mean that setting up replication is separate from setting up clustering?
>
> Does replication needs to be bi-directional between nodes?
>
>> From: rnewson@apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Adding a node to cluster
>> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 11:10:45 +0100
>> To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
>>
>> Ok, seems I've confused you.
>>
>> Couchdb replication occurs over http or https, as you know. The nodes in a couchdb
2.0 cluster do not communicate with each other over http. They use Erlang rpc. Erlang rpc
can be configured for TLS encryption.  It's in the Erlang faq and is fairly simple to set
up in newer Erlang releases.

only SSL connections, port 6984? https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/How_to_enable_SSL

with erlang rpc (service discovery over port 4369 and then whatever port the node is running
ong).

host is behind a reverse proxy (nginx) configured as HTTPS?