couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject On LICENSE and NOTICE (Was: CouchDB 2.0 Release Candidate 4)
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2016 09:07:39 GMT

> On 29 Aug 2016, at 23:00, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Aug 2016, at 14:11, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I’m happy to announce release candidate 4 (four) of CouchDB 2.0 \o/
>>
>> Find it here: https://couchdb.apache.org/release-candidate/2.0/
>>
>> Testing documentation here:
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BtndYr-0KDQTqBSLVdJoR_8C5ObYjT1RBo_Qyh5ykdQ/edit
>>
>> Changes since RC3:
>>
>>> 41e529d Ref. latest doc build chain fixes
>>> 0b3419b couch_log test fixes
>>> 66ac8e1 COUCHDB-2779
>>> 4f6cda5 Pull in COUCHDB-3097 and COUCHDB-3099 fixes
>>> 53aafa9 Bump config dep
>>> 46460df Update Fauxton to 1.1.7 tag
>>> 28eb33c Consult default.d/local.d for ini files (COUCHDB-3089)
>>> d7b92a1 Bump couch_log for Windows test fix
>>
>> A milestone not exactly noticeable from the commits: clustered db and view
>> _compact, cluster-wide view cleanup
>>
>> Klemens: start your machine for the Docker image  of RC4 thanks! :)
>>
>> Windows RC4 build available at:
>> https://atypical.net/mm/couchdb-2.0.0-RC4.msi
>> * * *
>>
>> As a reminder from last time: A few things that we have to do during the
>> RC-phase:

Hi,

One of our 2.0 blockers is this:

    - double, triple, and quadruple-check all LICENSE and NOTICE files to adhere to
    ASF policy and to make sure we don’t pull in any incompatible licenses (e.g.
    *GPL) as dependencies.

Why do we have to do this? It surely sounds like a lot of work.

If you are an Apache CouchDB end-user, you probably don’t have to care much about what licenses
are brought in, to make it all work. Even the viral nature of the GPL (except the AGPL variant)
stops at the HTTP layer (*waves hands*).

Imagine however, there was a completely fictional company called Cloudinsect and their primary
product would be a managed CouchDB-like service in the cloud that is based on Apache CouchDB.

Now imagine some of their customers are wondering if they in turn can run Cloudinsect’s
infrastructure on their private cloud. Cloudinsect thinks it’s a great idea and creates
the product Cloudinsect Locality, based on the hosted platform, which in turn is based on
Apache CouchDB.

Now it suddenly becomes very important what the licensing chain for Apache CouchDB and all
its dependencies that end up in an official Apache Release (http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html)
look like, because Cloudinsect’s customers almost certainly would like a proprietary license
with service guarantees and whatnot. And not all licenses allow relicensing of this nature.

One of the cornerstone of the Apache Software Foundation is to enable the above scenario and
guarantee to companies like Cloudinsect that any software they download from *.apache.org,
that is an official Apache Release, that they can use the software in any way they like (except
call it “Apache $project” and release it themselves, or litigate against the ASF or any
of its developers based on patent grounds (*waves hands again*).

That’s why we have to be doubly, triply and quadruply sure that our LICENSE and NOTICE files
are in order, so nice companies like Cloudinsect can run a business on top of Apache CouchDB
and maybe even employ a few folks to work on the Apache project.

And that is why any one of us who votes a +1 to release Apache CouchDB 2.0 is signing their
name that they are confident that our license chain is clean.

* * *

This is a daunting task, a casual look at Fauxton revealed 800+ dependencies and sub-dependencies,
just for starters.

The good news is that Joan and I were successful in setting up an instance of https://www.fossology.org
wich was built to help automate this kinds of things. We are still in the early tests, so
no idea how good this is going to be, but it looks promising.

Join on #couchdb-dev on Freenode to join the fun :)

Best
Jan
--

>> - docs: make sure we get docs.couchdb.org up to speed with 2.0 so it makes sense
>> to people who get started. This is mainly adding cluster bits, as most of the
>> rest stays the same.
>
> Docs:
>
> First step: I fixed our Read The Docs (readthedocs.org) setup, so that the documentation
for 1.6.1 would not confusingly mention 2.0.0 as the first possible thing. I’ve also disabled
showing docs for any versions < 1.6.1

> There are currently only two versions being built:
>
> - 1.6.1
> - master
>
> http://docs.couchdb.org/ auto-redirects to http://docs.couchdb.org/en/stable/ which is
an alias for the highest (in semver terms) tag, currently 1.6.1.

> Once we tag 2.0.0 in the docs repo, `stable` will show the 2.0.0 tag, so http://docs.couchdb.org/
will show 2.0.0 docs with the option to switch to 1.6.1 in the bottom of the page.