couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] CouchDB 2.0 log to ./var/log/couchdb.log by default
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 20:32:54 GMT
It's not proposed to log to /var/log, but ./var/log. Big difference :)

I'll respond to the other point separately.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Samuel Newson" <rnewson@apache.org>
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:30:12 PM
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] CouchDB 2.0 log to ./var/log/couchdb.log by default

oh, as for /var/log/, that'd be a violation of LSB policy, right? That's not our place to
play unless invited.

> On 2 Aug 2016, at 21:29, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
> My concern is that (and we've seen this with BigCouch), folks won't configure log rotation
until they have either a whopping great log file or, more typically, been woken by a paging
system as their filesystem hit 100%.

> Given this method of logging also forces a copytruncate approach to rotation (i.e, a
hackish workaround), I'm not keen (but not vetoing either).

> There's no one right answer here. Folks that run couchdb under runit or systemd will
get log capture and rotation for free with the stderr approach, for example.

> Can we make this an active choice so we're out of this guessing game? One suggestion
would be to default to a configuration that logs nothing anywhere except for a giant warning
to configure logging. I'm thinking of log4j's approach here.

> B.
>

>> On 2 Aug 2016, at 21:20, Paul J Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Seems reasonable to me. I wonder if we should add a stdout log line that indicates
where logs are going? Would be easy to add that as a module callback so it would work for
stderr, file, and syslog.