couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] CouchDB 2.0 log to ./var/log/couchdb.log by default
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 20:37:24 GMT

though. And we still don't have a clear answer as to what the default
would be (if you don't specify --log-file or --log-stderr).

-Joan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Samuel Newson" <rnewson@apache.org>
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:29:33 PM
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] CouchDB 2.0 log to ./var/log/couchdb.log by default

My concern is that (and we've seen this with BigCouch), folks won't configure log rotation
until they have either a whopping great log file or, more typically, been woken by a paging
system as their filesystem hit 100%.

Given this method of logging also forces a copytruncate approach to rotation (i.e, a hackish
workaround), I'm not keen (but not vetoing either).

There's no one right answer here. Folks that run couchdb under runit or systemd will get log
capture and rotation for free with the stderr approach, for example.

Can we make this an active choice so we're out of this guessing game? One suggestion would
be to default to a configuration that logs nothing anywhere except for a giant warning to
configure logging. I'm thinking of log4j's approach here.

B.

> On 2 Aug 2016, at 21:20, Paul J Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Seems reasonable to me. I wonder if we should add a stdout log line that indicates where
logs are going? Would be easy to add that as a module callback so it would work for stderr,
file, and syslog.