couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting libraries to test RCs
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:43:53 GMT

> On 10 Aug 2016, at 09:40, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Good concern. Indeed noone needs a database without clients
> ready-to-go. From our side it would be good to have nano updated /as
> well as jquery.couch/.

Yes for nano.

I think we are deprecating jquery.couch, because it has no maintainers.

Maybe that deprecation notice will wake people up to contribute ;)

Best
Jan
--

> --
> ,,,^..^,,,
>

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> from Joan’s excellent blog post about testing Release Candidates:
>>
>>> To our valued CouchDB application and library developers: please, please run
your software against each of the options below.

>>  — https://blog.couchdb.org/2016/08/08/release-candidates/
>>
>> I think we can be a little more proactive about this for CouchDB client libraries:
let’s open issues on all the CouchDB-compatible client software we care about to test an
RC.

>> Since there are a lot of projects, and we don’t necessarily know which one we “care”
about, we should try to be clever about it.

>> Maybe something like this can work:
>>
>> 1. We prepare an issue text explaining the thing: Heya, CouchDB team here, major
new version coming up, you should test it like so: <include instructions to test against
a 3-node cluster. Maybe even provide a cluster to do this, or Cloudant can sponsor something?

>> 2. Post this message with a call to action on user@c.a.o, the weekly news, and our
other (social) media channels.

>> 3. Ask people who submitted an issue to report back with a link.
>>
>> 4. Collect the link in an issue or JIRA (this could be done in 3., but then everybody
needs to be added to the wiki write group, and that’s just extra overhead we don’t need).
Maybe we borrow a gist for this, or a Google doc.

>> That way we encourage client software to check out RCs and we can keep track, while
the community helps to select which software to encourage to test 2.0 compat, and helps spread
the word and the burden is not left with just a few folks.