couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Clemens Stolle <clemens.sto...@fastmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] CouchDB 2.0 log to ./var/log/couchdb.log by default
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2016 08:52:22 GMT
Just chiming in here from a docker perspective.

For docker containers it is advisable to only log to stdout.
So, as long as there is an option to disable logging to file, I'm fine
with anything.

Am Mi, 3. Aug 2016, um 17:59, schrieb Paul Davis:
> Just a heads up that the file writer doesn't require copy/truncate. It
> checks every 30s or so to see if the inode for its path changed and
> re-opens and starts writing to a new file if it has.
>
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Joan Touzet <wohali@apache.org> wrote:
> > Yeah, I understand these reservations. I also learned that systemd
> > handles stdout/stderr logging on its own now, so if that's the
> > default on the bulk of popular UNIXes, perhaps this is a retrograde
> > choice.
> >
> > That said it is the *only* choice I can support on Windows, where
> > there is no system-wide logging service capable of handling the sort
> > of volume of logs we generate. (By comparison, Microsoft's own IIS
> > web server logs directly to its own logfile, or optionally to an
> > ODBC connection, not to the system Event Logger service, which it
> > only uses to log startup/shutdown/critical errors). At the very
> > least I will have to search-and-replace at Windows installer creation
> > time to log to a file and live with the large-log-file-blows-up-disk
> > problem there, otherwise we simply lose logs into the aether.
> >
> > We could add flags into ./configure to log appropriately to a file
> > or to stderr if someone is energetic enough to add the support code.
> > I'm just not sure how that plays nicely with reltool overlay support,
> > though. And we still don't have a clear answer as to what the default
> > would be (if you don't specify --log-file or --log-stderr).
> >
> > -Joan

rotation until they have either a whopping great log file or, more typically, been woken by
a paging system as their filesystem hit 100%.

> > Given this method of logging also forces a copytruncate approach to rotation (i.e,
a hackish workaround), I'm not keen (but not vetoing either).

> > There's no one right answer here. Folks that run couchdb under runit or systemd
will get log capture and rotation for free with the stderr approach, for example.

> > Can we make this an active choice so we're out of this guessing game? One suggestion
would be to default to a configuration that logs nothing anywhere except for a giant warning
to configure logging. I'm thinking of log4j's approach here.

> > B.
> >

> >> On 2 Aug 2016, at 21:20, Paul J Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Seems reasonable to me. I wonder if we should add a stdout log line that indicates
where logs are going? Would be easy to add that as a module callback so it would work for
stderr, file, and syslog.