couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New contributor need help
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 10:17:31 GMT
Heya Huyssen,

sorry for being a little obtuse here, but you’ve stumbled on one of the shortcomings of
the CouchDB project: it is not easy to get new contributors started.

We are aware of this and we plan to work on this soon-ish, but that won’t help you now ;)

That said:

CouchDB generally can be separated in three components:

- The Erlang Core (https://github.com/apache/couchdb)

- The JavaScript Test Suite (https://github.com/apache/couchdb/tree/master/test/javascript)

- The Fauxton Web UI (HTML/CSS/JS: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-fauxton)

And there are a few sub-projects:

- couchdb-nano (a Node.js client): https://github.com/apache/couchdb-nano
- couchdb-docker (Docker images): https://github.com/klaemo/docker-couchdb

The Erlang Core requires knowledge in Erlang. If you are up for learning Erlang, I’d recommend
to get started with http://learnyousomeerlang.com/content — it’s a great read and a fun
language to learn.

The JavaScript Test Suite requires knowledge in (drumroll): JavaScript, and a bit of how it
is set up:

In CouchDB master you can run it like this:
(See INTSALL.Unix.md and README-DEV.rst to get started)

./configure -c --disable-fauxton --disable-docs
make
make javascript

And you can run individual tests like this:

./configure -c --disable-fauxton --disable-docs
make
./dev/run -n 1 --with-admin-party-please

# new terminal window
./test/javascript/run testname

The tests live in test/javascript/tests/*.js

When you run `make javascript`, you might see some errors (ignore the attachment one), and
tests marked with TODO, these would be worth diving into.

For Fauxton, please see the README at: https://github.com/apache/couchdb-fauxton

* * *

In addition, there are a number of issues on our bug tracker that we’ve marked as beginner
friendly: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1098?jql=project%20%3D%20COUCHDB%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20cf%5B12310270%5D%20%3D%20%22New%20Contributors%20Level%20(Easy)%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
(I hope this link works)

In addition addition, there are many tickets with issue reports that have no comments on them
yet. One useful thing to do would be to check if you can reproduce the issue, and work on
a way to show how this can be reproduced.

Hope this helps!

Best
Jan