couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: System DB for Fauxton
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2016 05:20:05 GMT
Don't we already have a db-per-user plugin/feature thing? Could
Fauxton just not make use of that? Beyond that I'd rather not go
creating more "special" databases as it's already leading to some
rather complicated interactions with all of the various "features" we
have to add to make each new type behave properly.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:38 PM, Markus Fischböck
<m.fischboeck@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the idea of a database per user. I thought about creating such a
> database by Fauxton upon login, but that won't work if the user does not
> have admin privileges, so I guess this is something that should be
> implemented in Couch itself.
> Unfortunately I can't make any contribution to this code wise, since I'm not
> speaking Erlang :(
> I'm also not sure if this would make it into 2.0, since it seems the project
> goes into RC phase now. So how could we proceed on that?
>
> Regards,
> Markus
>

> On 15.07.2016 11:23, Garren Smith wrote:
>>
>> I was speaking to Jan about this in #couchdb-dev. He makes some very
>> important points:
>>
>> +jan____> thing is, fauxton runs under the security context of the logged
>> in user
>> 11:12 J<+jan____> so each user would need their own fauxton db
>> 11:12 J<+jan____> or we bleed info
>> 11:12 J<+jan____> or it is admin only
>> 11:13 J<+jan____> but then, multiple admin accounts are possible, and
>> they’d share it
>> 11:13 J<+jan____> I wonder if a browser-local PouchDB instance is the
>> better option
>>
>> A PouchDB instance might be better but then a user loses their info when
>> they change browsers. Otherwise Jan mentioned a db-per-user which could
>> also work really well.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Garren Smith <garren@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Markus, good points. I'm definitely +1 for the idea. Like Samuel says,
>>> storing notifications would be excellent. It would definitely allow us to
>>> improve the user experience.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Garren

UI.