couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Harald Kisch <haraldki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New contributor need help
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 09:51:36 GMT
Hi Jan,

as far as I know, the JavaScript tests have been available to verify if the
http-api is working correctly after the installation of CouchDB. Since
version 1.6.1 there is only a verify install CTA in
http://localhost:5984/_utils available which does'nt execute the tests
explicitly. If I look into the JavaScript Test Folders I can find any of
the tests which are testing similar http-api stuff which i did also expect
on localhost:5984/_utils.

There is no README in the JavaScript folder.

I would expect a Node.js API with Mocha, Sinon, Chai, Karma,.. Setup in
place for the JavaScript tests, but no Node.js is used for javascript
tests, instead there is a makefile, ruby, python setup which seems that I
need to execute the make procedures first. The configure script gives me
only one line, no response if it is finished or not. Make install is
missing completely instead I get the response to copy recursively
rel/couchdb to my /usr/local/lib folder? So nothing to make? All
executables are already in place? I thought that I have the source codes.
Very confusing and a little frustrating. I questioning me if I really have
the source code to build CouchDB from source. If I want to start coding on
the CouchDB REST-API or want to test a new http-handler based on erlang
plugin I would like to build the sources first so that I can execute the
tests for my current build at the couchdb.uri on http://127.0.0.1:15984/
but it seems to be no advice how to do so.

I see that the makefile has a javascript section which can be executed with
'make javascript', but it confuses me to see, that the tests are copied in
the fauxton directory at 'src/fauxton/dist/release/test' and then I am lost
because I do not want to use fauxton.
I also see that the tests are executed by the python script run with:
run -n 1 -q --with-admin-party-please test/javascript/run $(suites)

I am only a JavaScript Frontend Developer (Angular, React, Node, etc.) with
some experience in C and C++ many years ago. I would also appreciate to
have some guidelines how to work with this kind of javascript test
environment based on python, ruby and erlang.

Kind Regards

Harald

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> Heya Harald,
>
> could you do a quick write up on how to run the tests? Not sure this would
> be useful without, for a new contributor.
>
> Also, please use the latest build from
> http://couchdb.apache.org/release-candidate/2.0/ or git master, thanks! :)
>
> Best
> Jan
> --
>

> > On 18 Jul 2016, at 08:02, Harald Kisch <haraldkisch@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Huyssen,
> >
> > there are some Issues with the JavaScript Tests in the Source Code at
> >
> https://home.apache.org/~jan/couchdb/2.0/RC/apache-couchdb-2.0.0-92c95de.tar.gz
> > You can try to fix them.
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Harald
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Zhang Huyssen <huyssen.zxp@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hey there, I'm new to this community and want to get involved into
> couchdb.
> >> Where should I start and what should do next? I have some knowlede
> about js
> >> and Java, please give me some information about the issue I could work
> >> with! Thank you very much!
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Huyssen
> >>

> > --