couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Fischböck" <m.fischbo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: System DB for Fauxton
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2016 04:38:38 GMT
I like the idea of a database per user. I thought about creating such a
database by Fauxton upon login, but that won't work if the user does not
have admin privileges, so I guess this is something that should be
implemented in Couch itself.
Unfortunately I can't make any contribution to this code wise, since I'm
not speaking Erlang :(
I'm also not sure if this would make it into 2.0, since it seems the
project goes into RC phase now. So how could we proceed on that?

Regards,
Markus

On 15.07.2016 11:23, Garren Smith wrote:
> I was speaking to Jan about this in #couchdb-dev. He makes some very
> important points:
>
> +jan____> thing is, fauxton runs under the security context of the logged
> in user
> 11:12 J<+jan____> so each user would need their own fauxton db
> 11:12 J<+jan____> or we bleed info
> 11:12 J<+jan____> or it is admin only
> 11:13 J<+jan____> but then, multiple admin accounts are possible, and
> they’d share it
> 11:13 J<+jan____> I wonder if a browser-local PouchDB instance is the
> better option
>
> A PouchDB instance might be better but then a user loses their info when
> they change browsers. Otherwise Jan mentioned a db-per-user which could
> also work really well.
>
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Garren Smith <garren@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Markus, good points. I'm definitely +1 for the idea. Like Samuel says,
>> storing notifications would be excellent. It would definitely allow us to
>> improve the user experience.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Garren
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Samuel Kidman <samkidman@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It would be nice to store notifications in such a database. Admins could
>>> then see which actions have been undertaken through fauxton and by whom.

>>> not
>>> need

>>> some
>>> permissions