couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Markus Fischböck" <m.fischbo...@gmail.com>
Subject System DB for Fauxton
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2016 19:54:30 GMT
Hi everyone!

I'm currently working on a new replicator add-on for the Fauxton UI. One
of the features I'd like to implement is a bookmark manager where a user
can create and save bookmarks in order to have them for quick access,
when selecting hosts/databases during replication. This saves the user
the hastle to remember the full URL to any source/target database he/she
want's to replicate from.

I had a discussion lately with Robert Kowalski where to store those
bookmarks and I had a couple of ideas in mind:
a) Saving the bookmarks on the local storage of the browser => this is
the least desired option, since the bookmarks would only be available on
the current browser.

b) Saving the bookmarks in the users document in the _user Database =>
Not really nice, since we would pollute the user object with data from
Fauxton. I guess it's not supposed to work that way.

c) Having a fauxton related system database (e.g. _fauxton) where we can
store UI related data. For now this would be bookmarks, but could come
in handy for other purposes like UI settings and that a like.

I wanted to ask, if it would be possible (and desireable) to add such a
system database for the Fauxton project.

Kind Regards,
Markus