couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Keen <ben.k...@gmail.com>
Subject _replicate vs. _replicator
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 14:11:30 GMT
Hey!

Wonder if I could get some advice here. I’ve been working on refactoring
the replication feature in Fauxton to POST to the /_replicator database
rather than using /_replicate.

Having all replications (continuous/one-offs) logged in one place (the
_replicator database) leaves a nice paper trail of replication history.
[N.B. I’ve been speaking to Markus Fischboeck, who’s doing work on adding
some advanced replication features - we’re working in parallel].

I’ve been able to get replications working, but it requires passing both
basic headers in the POSTed JSON content, and the creds in the actual
endpoint URL, like so:

http://bob:bobspassword@mylocalsite.dev:8000/_replicator

It’s the latter that particularly worries me. I don’t believe this is
secure over http (correct?), and since Fauxton could be run anywhere, I
 wanted to know if I should stop heading down this road and stick with
_replicate.

Thanks!

Ben