couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extra reference in a commit message
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2016 14:24:20 GMT

> On 18 Jun 2016, at 01:07, Ilya Khlopotov <iilyak@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> We at Cloudant using our own bug tracker. Quite often we have two tickets
> opened for the same problem.
> One ticket is in ASF JIRA and another one in our internal bug tracker.
> We have some automation, which compiles the issues we worked on in a
> current release cycle.
> However, it is extremely challenging to get it working right. Since it
> needs to consult two independent trackers with no link between them.
> We are considering adding a second reference in a commit message.
>
> Does anyone have a strong opinion against it?
> Would these unrelated references be too annoying for the community?

I’m definitely not a fan of this. Mostly because the reference is not
transparent and will confuse new contributors coming in. And secondly that
it is very easy to miss any useful discussion leading up to a patch, and
the onus on Cloudant folks to copy and paste everything relevant into
CouchDB JIRA. I’d prefer to “default to open”

Is there an option to use ASF JIRA for the more substantial / commit-level
issue tracking even inside Cloudant?

I realise you won’t be able to move the Cloudant private bits over and that
there are other complications with this idea, but maybe it makes sense to
keep the private Cloudant bits in the Cloudant issue tracker and the open
CouchDB bits in CouchDB JIRA?

Best
Jan