couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: On dependency management and CI issues associated with it
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:30:36 GMT
Hi Paul!

Thanks for great input!

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> If anyone has a strong objection to a monolithic Erlang repo I'd like
> to hear it. Otherwise I may work up a lengthier and more thorough
> proposal for dev@ to consider consolidating all of these repositories
> for sanity and profit.

It's hard to object against that since this actually solves a lot of
problems solution of which will require more work to do and still will
leave a place for mistakes or require quite specific toolchain to
work.

Making our current repos design work right will require even more work to apply.

So, for point of time/resources/usability there is no much choice.

I think folding the "Erlang repos developed by ASF" list will solve
most part of the problems. However, I think it worth to keep these
apps in own repos:
- rexi
- b64url
- config
- snappy
- khash
- ets-lru
- twig (why we still need it?)

As they could be reused outside and they shouldn't involve any
dependencies with other couch modules by design. Everyone else may
stand on where they are.

P.S. I'm not sure if git-subtree will not introduce more new problems
as it's quite tricky thing to live with it.

--