couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: make
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2016 16:31:06 GMT
As promised: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/402

Little issue with Fauxton, would love help from the team <3

Best
Jan
--

> On 30 Mar 2016, at 21:57, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> last year I endeavoured to make the 2.0 build system to behave as close to 1.x as possible.
>
> We’re 80% there, but the remaining 80% prove hard, of course. Without going too much
into the details, the missing parts are the integration with all the different operating systems.
Stuff that takes years to get right (even with autotools in 1.x it took us quite some time).

> To keep it short: I don’t want to hold up 2.0 for this work. It can be easily (re-)added
later, and the intermediate solution allows us to ship 2.0 sooner (yay).

> My current plan is to have `./configure && make` produce a directory `./apache-couchdb-<version>`
that includes a full CouchDB build, Fauxton, Docs, etc. that can be moved into the OS anywhere
(say `/usr/local`) and run from there, and everything: logs, data files, sources, ini files,
are in that directory, and there is no way to move them out (maybe via symlinks, but I don’t
care ;) into a standard file system layout (config files under [/usr/local]/etc, data files
into [/usr/local]/var/lib etc. There won’t be a `make install` (maybe a dummy that prints
an explanation of how to do the install, and why the target isn’t there).