couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wickedg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: make
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2016 23:20:37 GMT
Personally, I think that the project would benefit from having the OS
packagers get pulled in towards the project more (ideally, producing
.rpm and .deb etc. as part of the release process).

To that end (and as previously mentioned), we've contracted with Dave
Cottlehuber to produce Ubuntu 15.10/16.04 (and hopefully 12.04)
packages for 2.0 and donate the work to CouchDB. He should be back
from vacation now-ish, and hopefully will be able to start work on it
soon. I'd appreciate it if you were able to coordinate so that his
deliverables to us have a decent chance of getting merged into the
product proper.

Note also that if you're talking about releasing 2.0 final with the
above directory layout, please make it trivial to symlink things into
reasonable places. It's frustrating to work with software that put
logs into some special snowflake directory, instead of in /var/log,
and our existing hosts have partition setups that assume we don't need
to encrypt (or have room for) patient data anywhere but /var/lib.
Breaking that is going to make upgrading (and Dave's life) a lot
harder.

That said, what you propose sounds like a good first step towards
providing a clean base to do packaging work from, so I hope it works
out well.

Cheers,
Eli

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Andy Wenk <andywenk@apache.org> wrote:
> Just a question from aside. Are there plans to integrate multi language docs? I know
that we always wanted to work on that but we never found a solution to do it right.