couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Kerr Rainey <kerr.rai...@gmail.com>
Subject Docker
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:43:45 GMT
Hi All,

I’ve not looked at CouchDB for a long time and it’s great to see 2.0 getting a bit of
movement. Fantastic job everyone!

I’ve been messing about with CouchDB in docker and have a few questions.

I see that there is a dockerfile in the main apache/couchdb repo as well as everything in
the apache/couchdb-docker repo. Both have been updated recently. Do they have different defined
purposes? I can see the actual differences, but I’m wondering what the plan is here.

With regard to the apache/couchdb-docker repo, at a glance it looks identical to the klaemo/docker-couchdb
 "🐳Source of the official Apache CouchDB Docker image” repo. I’m a little hazy on the
github details here in terms of forks and how these are linked. Clearly Clemens is doing the
bulk (all?) of the work here (great job, thanks), and the activity seems to happening “over
there”. I notice also that the request to docker-library/official-images for the official
CouchDB Docker images point to klaemo/docker-couchdb. This seems a little confusing to me.
Am I missing something? Planed, just not there yet?

Finally, obviously there are many scenarios for dockerizing couchdb, and it looks like the
current dev one is geared to testing out a little cluster, which is probably what we need
right now. For production I suspect that it would rarely be a good idea to have more than
one CouchDB server running in a single container. Presumably we could explore some good patterns
for production deployments of couchdb in docker and have those images readily available.

I’m actually having a problem running klaemo/couchdb:2.0-dev image, failing to start because
of a connection error [Errno 111] while running cluster setup (not the expected error when
check nodes). I’ve not dug into it yet, but please shout if it’s a known issue.

Cheers
Kerr

--
Kerr Rainey