couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Applied for official Docker image
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 19:55:56 GMT
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Clemens Stolle
<clemens.stolle@fastmail.com> wrote:
>> Am 25.01.2016 um 20:04 schrieb Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com>:

ubuntu base image is 60MB bigger than debian's.

>>> I was referring to this PPA https://launchpad.net/~couchdb/+archive/ubuntu/stable
>>> Isn’t it maintained by the CouchDB project? I guess my question is if it were
preferable to use such a pre-built package instead of building from source.

>> Well, Dave is indeed a member of CouchDB team, but I cannot recall
>> that we discussed any PPA during release preparation. I added him to
>> CC, so may be he can clarify this moment.
>> Currently, all our official artefacts are listed on website download section.
>
> This is confusing. The ubuntu packages are listed in the download section on the website.
I think I’ll just keep building from source.

Oh...really. Seems like I miss something. Then you can try (:

there tags or pre-release snapshots for 2.0?

>>> The docker image for 2.0 is currently tagged as 2.0-dev to make it clear that
it’s a developer preview. It could also be called 2.0-alpha. Maybe 2.0 isn’t ready for
the official image, but it should be docker-available somewhere to ease testing.

>> I have crazy idea, but tell me if it's possible to: bound 2.0-alpha
>> image to specific git commit hash on apache/couchdb repo, but update
>> this image on weekly basis. So, for today that will be
>> 2.0-alpha-20160125 that points on 3619c80 commit. On the next week you
>> publish 2.0-alpha-20160201 that points to hypothetical feeddeef
>> commit. And so on. So, these images are get rotated, they provides
>> reproducible builds and clearly tells you for what state they were
>> made. Older images could be removed during rotation. Whole process
>> could be easily automated.
>>
>> What do you think about this?
>
> While I’d be all for it, according to this comment [1] the Docker folks would prefer
not to do that.

> [1] https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/pull/1288#issuecomment-173604247
>
> Maybe once there are official pre-releases like alphas, betas or RCs it’s more feasible.

Ok, seems like there is nothing much to do then.

--