couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wickedg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting people to test CouchDB 2.0 alpha releases
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 02:16:38 GMT
Not sure if I should keep marketing@ on the CC list; erred on the side
of inclusion.

Docker didn't exist when we started our project, and we've not felt
the need to start using it, so it's a hurdle (a small one, but enough
that we've not bothered to alter our build scripts to include the new
dependency and startup steps).

Speaking only for myself, having something as close to a drop-in
replacement for the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS packages of 1.6.1 would be what
we need to easily test CouchDB 2.0.

So to that end, my company is getting a contract set up to have those
produced, with the intention of having the build scripts, etc. donated
back to the project and the binaries freely available on the
couchdb-stable PPA. That internal initiative was prompted by this
email thread (since I realized that not having what we needed is a
problem that could be solved with dollars), so it's a good thing you
asked. ;)

Timelines aren't 100% clear yet, but at the very least announcements
will be made when various artifacts are available. Might be a couple
of months, not sure.

Cheers,
Eli

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:45 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Dear marketing team (cc dev@),
>
> over the holiday break I made first build for CouchDB 2.0 available and have written
up a document on how to get started with testing it at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BtndYr-0KDQTqBSLVdJoR_8C5ObYjT1RBo_Qyh5ykdQ/edit#
and I’ve also used Twitter to spread the word, and we’ve had this in last week’s weekly
news.

> But we’re not seeing a lot of people giving these builds a spin. I’m not 100% on
what to expect, but I would have expected a *little* more buzz around this :)

> Can you help brainstorm a few ideas on how to get this in front of more people, and how
to get them to try out CouchDB 2.0 alpha?

> These things are circling in my back of the head:
>
> - Maybe the doc is too dense and not fun enough, or to badly written, please suggest
any edits that you may think help (or scrap it and make an alternative, if you think it can’t
be saved :)

> - Some people reply with “do you know when it is out of alpha and in beta?”, because
they think alpha is to early to get into the game. I usually reply that we go beta as soon
as they reported all the issues they found, but it didn’t help yet ;) — How do we convince
those who *would* help, to help earlier?

> - Can we simplify the getting started experience?
>
> - Should we host a public cluster somewhere, that people can play with?
>
> - How do we get client library authors to test with CouchDB 2.0? (can we come up with
a .travis.yml file that they can maybe use in a 2.0 branch of their tree (maybe PouchDB has
something there already))

> - Can we simplify the procedure of how to report issues?
>
> - Can we put a feedback form into Fauxton? (maybe an embedded Google Form is enough?)
>
> - Can we put a web-chat pane into Fauxton, so people get a quick way to get into our
IRC channel?

> - Can we track installations somehow, e.g. along the lines of “send anonymous data
to the developers” where we can track the operating system / cluster config / maybe data
sizes etc? (all opt-in of course).

> - Can we make this a mmopg? Maybe we draw up a huge matrix of test configurations that
we’d like to see tested, and people get points for filling it out, and we can crown the
top-alpha-tester-champion or something?