couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Clemens Stolle <clemens.sto...@fastmail.com>
Subject Re: Applied for official Docker image
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:06:22 GMT
Thanks Alexander!

> Am 25.01.2016 um 11:44 schrieb Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Clemens!
>
> My own opinion below:
>
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Clemens Stolle
> <clemens.stolle@fastmail.com> wrote:
>> - Should we use ubuntu and the PPA instead of building from source? The ubuntu base
image is 60MB bigger than debian's.

> We don't provide any PPA builds to use, especially for 2.0, today.
> Ubuntu vs debian - doesn't matter for me.

I was referring to this PPA https://launchpad.net/~couchdb/+archive/ubuntu/stable
Isn’t it maintained by the CouchDB project? I guess my question is if it were preferable
to use such a pre-built package instead of building from source.

>> - Building from git branches is not feasible in official images. Are there tags or
pre-release snapshots for 2.0?

> There was developer-preview-2.0 branch for that purpose, but it's
> outdated for now and quickly becomes after each rebase. For current
> state of 2.0 I don't see any point to add special intermediate tags
> for reproduceable builds.
> Also, it may be a bit rushy to include 2.0 image into officials as
> people may accidentally thought that this version is released while
> that's not true.

The docker image for 2.0 is currently tagged as 2.0-dev to make it clear that it’s a developer
preview. It could also be called 2.0-alpha. Maybe 2.0 isn’t ready for the official image,
but it should be docker-available somewhere to ease testing.

>> - How does CouchDB handle signals? Currently couchdb doesn’t respond to SIGTERM.
I’m not sure if this is caused by my wrapper shell script.

> SIGTERM works correctly so far.

I don’t really understand why it doesn’t in the container, though.