couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject [2.0] Release Plan
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:19:11 GMT
Hey all,

I know everyone is busy, but I’d love to get some form of 2.0 release out before the holidays.

Here’s a proposal:

## Preface

2.0 is in decent shape, but we know a few things are missing*. We also know that unless we
give this to a wider audience, we’ll never find all of the issues.

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2876?jql=project%20%3D%20COUCHDB%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC
+ the ones rnewson mentioned in his previous mail.

## The Plan

1. Find someone who’s willing to run the release process.
  - At this point this should be along the lines of:
    1. Build CouchDB locally.
    2. Run `make dist`.
    3. Upload resulting tarball somewhere.

(I have this semi-automated on my old Jenkins install, maybe this is enough for the time being.)

2. Announce the tarball as “Apache CouchDB 2.0 alpha-git-hash”** in these places:
- here on dev@
- user@
- on the website
- weekly news
- social media

Along with the tarball, we explain where people can report issues and get help (user@, dev@
or IRC)

3. fix issues as people report them

Repeat.

Once we have addressed all known issues, we start calling the release “Apache CouchDB 2.0
beta”**.

During the beta period, we should start talking to client library maintainers and OS package
managers, to start the work required to support 2.0, if they haven’t done this already.

** Note: these are just tarballs we put out, they are not official Apache releases. Those
need a vote and everything. That comes after the betas.

Once we are satisfied with the betas, we should start doing proper, voted-on Apache releases
for “Apache CouchDB 2.0 release candidate [1-N]” and get widest possible testing for those
and eventually designate one of them as the final release.

* * *

How does this sound? Am I missing something? Is this too simple, or too complicated? Thanks
for your feedback, bikesheds welcome!

Best
Jan