couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Allow rewrites to be JS function
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2015 19:24:03 GMT
Hi Garren,
thanks for the "not standing in the way", I hope for more volunteers to iron out some of CouchDB's
old akward wrinkles.
I am all with you for simplification:) ermouth's rewrite function is a huge simplifier.

Where I disagree with you is where you say "probably a sign that this idea is not something
worth pursuing".
Whenever you discover that you have a differentiator, it's always a good idea to look closely
before discaring it and blend in with the rest.
It's all about attracting the next million web developers.

johs

> On 19. okt. 2015, at 20.08, Garren Smith <gs@redcometlabs.com> wrote:
>
> I’m really struggling with these proposals. I love the enthusiasm of everyone but I
keep thinking we should rather simplify CouchDB.
> CouchDB is ultimately a database. One with excellent sync capabilities. And combining
that with libraries like PouchDB and Hoodie make it an amazing database to build applications
with.
> Adding routers and reverse proxies just makes it feel like we trying to push CouchDB
into being more than it needs to be.

> For example building Couchapp like functionality in Node.js is so simple and way better.
Languages like Go also do that really well. Far superior than what we can do with a database.
> I would rather let the Node.js and Go web libraries serve content and let us focus on
building a clustered replicating database. We will draw more people to this community if we
can do that properly over creaky, slow and limited web serving mashed on top of a database.
> If I look at other popular databases, I don’t see any of them serving web content which
is probably a sign that this idea is not something worth pursuing.

> However if there is a burning desire for this and developers raising their hands to code
this functionality, I would not stand in your way. It is great to see the varied use of CouchDB
out in the wild.

> Cheers
> Garren
>

>> On 19 Oct 2015, at 4:47 PM, Johs. E <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Andy,
>> I will try and  get some use cases up on confluence.
>> As for whoever would pick up the work after ermouth,  I have of course one big thing
on the wish list that goes well with a new router solution..
>> reverse proxy
>> I remember asking about it when I first started to work w CouchDB and there were
some concerns regarding security.
>> Since then I think node.js has paved the way with content scraping and all sorts
of outgoing traffic.

>> Has anyone work on a reverse proxy solution for Couch?
>>
>> johs
>>

>>> On 18 Oct 2015, at 21:36, Andy Wenk <andywenk@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Johs,
>>>
>>> thanks a lot for this. I need some time to dig into it. We need a place to
>>> write the user stories / use case down. So I suggest we find good place at
>>> the cwiki. So I suggest to use
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Enhancement+Proposals .
>>> Do you have write access there? If not, please ping me.
>>>
>>> Great work!
>>>
>>> All the best
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>
>>> P.S.: Jan already mentioned the feature freeze. Please take it not as a
>>> demotivation but as the possibility to have a bit more time to work on it.

That