couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From ermouth <ermo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Allow rewrites to be JS function
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2015 08:37:14 GMT
> Can you unpack "access control"?

More accurate terms would be ‘userCtx-based query restriction’ and/or
‘userCtx-based query rewrite’.

Assume we have views, that fetch by keys [%username%,
startKey]…[%username%, endkey]. Using rewrite we can ensure user won‘t be
able to fetch docs he has no rights for.

It surely won‘t enable any access control for direct doc and attaches
requests, but there are a lot of solution where they are not needed at all.

As for JS-induced performance penalties... Well, in CouchDB, where you see
term ‘javascript’, you must be ready to these penalties. It‘s inevitable
price.

>  every request needs to be forwarded to a JavaScript

Not necesserily. We have rewrite chains, so first hop may be served by
classic rewrites list.

> regular expression rewrites

It gives not much more, then current implementation. I‘d say, it gives even
less.

ermouth