couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <jason.h.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A Plan: Remove pre-commit, jshint, code style requirements from couchdb-nano
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 12:54:37 GMT
Hi, Dale.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Dale Harvey <dale@arandomurl.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to clarify, are you speaking about removing as a "pre-commit
> hook", or removing the requirements for those checks to pass before
> merging?

I am speaking about removing the pre-commit hook only--the mechanical thing
that that runs automatically when one commits.

The tests and checks would make brilliant push hooks, or perhaps Travis
tests for pull requests. However they are a bit much as a *commit* hook.

A separate conversation: should the tests pass for merging. I would say:
yes if it's smart; no if it's dumb: they need not pass for merging, at
least not automatically, mechanically. The reason is that we should merge
pull requests liberally, accepting contributions from all, then commit on
top of those to correct for style. I won't have some sort of angry
Calvinist robot telling me I can't merge a pull request. (If we can be
clever, for example to require all tests pass for the master branch but not
feature branches, then yes I would love that.)