couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 04:36:15 GMT
Thanks Robert,
will study)
What I discovered so far is that philosophy papers on OSS is very har to find. It is as if
OSS would be an insulated human space and had its own philosophical basis.
I would expect that the various streams of philosophy and ideology that tend to govern our
thinking affects OSS too, while there doesn't seem to be much studies on this from the philosophy
side (unlike law, eceonomics and many other diciplines).

About my comments on conflict, I DO believe in resolving conflicts (not enforcing them), but
i think it is folly to ignore or avoid them totally.
My comment was towards the NVC ideology that I did not know of before now. It looked like
focusing on avoiding conflict to facilitate a transaction (you get what you need and I get
what I need).
Looks good for running workshop or marriage counseling, but would not get a skyscraper built,
where you need to develop respect for each other's strength and also for some objective truth
(like the steelworker may know how to mount the steel beam, but cannot be at liberty to decide
if and where it should be mounted, since neither the steelworker or structural engineer has
any power over gravity).
Juggling these metaphors might not help us, what I wanted to say was that found the video
interesting, but the NVC philosophy did not pass my crap filter.

It created an interest to check if any paper has been written about philosophies (scholarly
ones) in OSS development.
If I were a philosophy student looking for a PhD theme now, "Philosophies and their impact
on OSS product quality" would be a candidate.

I realize that product quality is not the only outcome of OSS development (learning, sense
of accomplishment and peer recognition and others might be as important) and thus there are
many ways to define success for a OSS community.

What I am looking for is "what thinking and culture will make the OSS community turn out a
superior product".

Johs