couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Johs Ensby <j...@b2w.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB _rewrite
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2015 03:16:00 GMT
Hi Paul,
you're right,  Cloudant has SSL connections for clients to the *.cloudant.com <http://cloudant.com/>
domains.
and I guess in the context of vhost/_rewrite this could be used for one domain per Cloudant
account.

It would be nice if Cloudant could offer the opportunity to have SSL certs on users own domains,
since the step up from the metered services to dedicated cluster is too hight right now.

br
johs

> On 6. sep. 2015, at 21.40, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Johs. E <johs@b2w.com> wrote:
>> Fellow CouchDB enthusiasts,
>>
>> Let me quote a dialogue I had the other day with a colleague on Couchapps and _rewrite:

>>> You must concentrate all rules in one place, that is totally out of idea ‘one
app – one ddoc’
>>> Capturing mechanics is outrageously ugly and limiting. You can‘t capture on
query, only on path, and in very limiting manner. Obsolete for at least 15 years.
>>> Rule lists are flat – they must be trees, since it‘s json, not SQL table
of directory with files.
>>> It‘s all very brittle, error prone and imposes all possible hurdles during
debug – no err messages, no log, no validator.
>>> And most important: it creates illusion, that it can fit everything – but it
only fits small static-like sites.

>>> Don‘t think anybody of them is interested. This functions assumed obsolete
or impractical by the vast majority of community, as I see. And I agree with them.

>> Still with its limitations, I love _rewrite
>> You direct the vhost to db/_design/api/_rewrite
>> using so-called “unsafe” rewrites, you create an API for your many databases
and their couchapps there.
>> It works beautifully.
>> That is at Cloudant. I think I learned from an earlier discussion that the lack of
a “default vhost” is a problem outside Cloudant.
>> Now Cloudant does not offer SSL unless you enter into a relationship with your local
IBM organization and buy a dedicated cluster under a std IBM contract, so