couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: On Plugins and Extensibility
Date Mon, 25 May 2015 14:59:52 GMT

> On 22 May 2015, at 00:29, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> So I've been meaning to write this email for sometime but have been
> kept busy with lots of super fun things that are super fun. Anyway, I
> just wanted to get this out there to start getting feed back from
> everyone involved.
>
> Also, while this is called "Plugin Proposal" it shouldn't be confused
> with the original couch_plugins use case. This is a lot lower level
> (and may be used by something like couch_plugins if we go there again
> in the future). Generally speaking this is just for cleaning up
> internals and for people that want to run either minimal installs of
> CouchDB or include the CouchDB in a larger Erlang application.
>
> Plugin Proposal
> ===============
>
> Background
> ----------
>
> As we've grown the code base to include more and more applications
> we're getting to the point where we've started adding various points
> of extension in various ways. The best existing example is the
> couch_stats application which loads stat/metric definitions from
> applications. Henning Diedrich has some unmerged worked which looks to
> follow a similar path for HTTP URL handlers. And Ilya Khlopotov has
> some work for providing vendor specific hooks.
>
> While each of these have some overlaps in their intended use case,
> they also share the fact that they've all implemented their own idea
> of extensibility in slightly different ways. That's not necessarily
> bad, but I think that we could reduce a lot of complexity if we take a
> step back and write a utility application that could then be used to
> support each of these features so that we can have both the
> extensibility as well as simplify the implementation of each
> individual feature.
>
> I'll start with a bit of background and then describe a general
> approach as well as show some hopefully explicit example snippets of
> how such a system might be used. Granted I haven't written out an
> entire implementation of this so I may be off the mark in some places.
>
> Bikeshed First
> --------------
>
> I have no idea what we'd call this. We could repurpose the
> couch_plugins app conceivably or make something new. For the the
> purposes of this document I'll call it couch_epi (for extensible
> plugin interface) and hopefully that's terrible enough someone will
> think of a better name for the actual application.

Yay bikeshed :)

couch_plugins was always meant to be a frontend to a more elaborate
system in the core as proposed and discussed here. Since couch_plugins
was a short-lived experiment, I don’t see any reason that we can give
the couch_plugins name to this, and if we ever have an HTTP endpoint
to install plugins, we can call the handling module couch_plugins_frontend
or somesuch.

As for the rest, I like where this is going, I’ll keep watching the
discussion with interest! Thanks Paul! :)

Best
Jan