couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Could CouchDB 2.0 fix actual read quorum?
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2015 10:12:44 GMT
I’ve made branch 2655-r-met2 in fabric which will indicate the consistency of the response.
I’ve kept the is_r_met and r_met names for now, but if this is the right direction we will
want to change that.

When fabric returns r_met:"consistent" it means complete agreement among all R responses
When fabric returns r_met:"divergent" it means we saw more than one distinct revision from
the R responses but all divergent copies are ancestors (i.e, they’re missing an update rather
being an alternate branch)
When fabric returns r_met:"disagreement" we saw truly divergent responses. Fabric blocks for
the repair, so the response is "healed", but nevertheless it indicates an issue like a recent
partition not yet fully healed by anti-entropy.

Obviously these names are terrible and we’ll need to brainstorm on those, but let’s first
establish if this is the right kind of metadata.

B.

> On 4 Apr 2015, at 10:41, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>

> Ok, most of those make sense to me (I think the last two, and particularly the last one,
are confounded by the fact couch will initiate read repair if it sees a lack of convergence,
i.e, R to N* different revisions, and will perform the usual arbitrary-but-consistent winner
algorithm right there).

> So, what we want is not really r_met in the sense that fabric means it; which is the
minimum number of responses to wait for before returning, regardless of whether they are the
same revision or not.

> It’s as you said, did we see at least R responses with the same revision? Would we
want additional nuance like whether the responses were so inconsistent that we ran read repair?
This would distinguish the case where there are simply fewer than R responses (for nodes down
/ slow / partitioned) that are returning the same revision versus the case where all R to
N* responses return different revisions.

> I’ll see how easy it is to return the first value while we ponder the other question.
>
> * I say "R to N" to mean fabric will wait for at least R responses (or timeout) but up
to N responses (or timeout) if the responses vary.

> B.
>
>> On 4 Apr 2015, at 02:08, Mutton, James <jmutton@akamai.com> wrote:
>>
>> * Report the number of r_met failed conditions to a statistical aggregator for alerting
or trending on client-visible behavior.
>> * Pause some operation for a time if possible, retry later.
>> * Possibly re-resolve and use another cluster that is more healthy or less loaded
>> * Indicate some hidden failure or bug in how shards got moved around/restored from
down nodes

>> </JamesM>
>>
>> On Apr 3, 2015, at 17:27, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> I’ve pushed an update to the fabric branch which accounts for when the r= value
is higher than the number of replicas (so that it returns r_met:false)

>>> Changing this so that r_met is true only if R matching revisions are seen doesn’t
sound too difficult.

>>> Where I struggle is seeing what a client can usefully do with this information.
When you receive the r_met:false indication, however we end up conveying it, what will you
do? Retry until r_met:true?

>>> B.

to W nodes.  For behavior to be consistent between R and W, R should be considered to be met
when R “matching” results have been found, if we treat “matching” == “successful”.
 I believe this to be a more-correct interpretation of R-W consistency then treating R-satisfied
as “found-but-not-matching” since it matches the complete positive of W's “successfully-written”.
 For scope, W acts for both current versions and historical revision updates (e.g. resolving
conflicts).  W also functions in bulk operations so R should function in multi-key requests
as well if it’s to be consistent.

branches to see that the _r_met was present, that worked.  I also made some quick modifications
to return a 203 to see how some clients behaved.  Here are my test results: https://gist.github.com/jamutton/c823fdac328777e22646

while the server was returning a 203 and/or the meta-field.  A quick test-with replication
was mixed.  I did a replicate into a couchdb 1.6 machine and although I did see some errors,
replication succeeded (the errors were related to checkpointing the target and my 1.6 could
have been messed up).  All that to say that where I tested it, returning a 203 on R was accepted
behavior by clients, just as returning a 202 on W.  By no means is that extensive but at least
indicative.  So, I think both approaches, field and status-code, are possible for single key
requests (more on that in a second) and whether it’s status or field, I favor at least having
consistency with W.  We could also have consistency by converting W’s 202 to a to be an
in-document meta field like _w_met and only present when ?is_w_met=true is present on the
query string.  That feels more drastic.

of reads and writes diverges.  Writes are still individual doc-updates, whereas reads of multi-docs
are basically a “view” even if it’s all_docs.  IMHO, views could be called  out of scope
for when R is Applied.  It doesn’t even descend into doc_open to apply R unless “keys”
are specified and normal views without include_docs would do the same IIRC.  This approach
of calling all views out of scope because they could only even be in scope under certain circumstances,
leaves the door open still for either a status-code or field (and again, if using a field
it would be more consistent API behavior to switch W to behave the same)

Paul was concerned about.

conflicts=true, etc) would avoid compatibility breaks and would clearly put the onus on those
supplying it to tolerate the presence of the extra reserved field.

There's no

to have Couch respond with
that responded to a read
they issued an r=2 request