couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Mutton, James" <jmut...@akamai.com>
Subject Re: Could CouchDB 2.0 fix actual read quorum?
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 19:40:04 GMT
I’ll have a look when possible, probably not until next week, but on the surface it sounds
good.  Agreed that names need refinement and it appears to be missing one for the case of
“not-enough N’s alive”.  Maybe add r_met:”insufficient” to the list to indicate
not enough nodes were up to satisfy the requested R.  That also begs the question of when
R is both insufficient and something else.  I think that “insufficient” is probably the
bigger issue in that case and would take precedence (as opposed to making r_met an array or
bitmask something awful).

</JamesM>

On Apr 4, 2015, at 3:12, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:

> I’ve made branch 2655-r-met2 in fabric which will indicate the consistency of the response.
I’ve kept the is_r_met and r_met names for now, but if this is the right direction we will
want to change that.

> When fabric returns r_met:"consistent" it means complete agreement among all R responses
> When fabric returns r_met:"divergent" it means we saw more than one distinct revision
from the R responses but all divergent copies are ancestors (i.e, they’re missing an update
rather being an alternate branch)
> When fabric returns r_met:"disagreement" we saw truly divergent responses. Fabric blocks
for the repair, so the response is "healed", but nevertheless it indicates an issue like a
recent partition not yet fully healed by anti-entropy.

> Obviously these names are terrible and we’ll need to brainstorm on those, but let’s
first establish if this is the right kind of metadata.

> B.
>

>> On 4 Apr 2015, at 10:41, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> Ok, most of those make sense to me (I think the last two, and particularly the last
one, are confounded by the fact couch will initiate read repair if it sees a lack of convergence,
i.e, R to N* different revisions, and will perform the usual arbitrary-but-consistent winner
algorithm right there).

>> So, what we want is not really r_met in the sense that fabric means it; which is
the minimum number of responses to wait for before returning, regardless of whether they are
the same revision or not.

>> It’s as you said, did we see at least R responses with the same revision? Would
we want additional nuance like whether the responses were so inconsistent that we ran read
repair? This would distinguish the case where there are simply fewer than R responses (for
nodes down / slow / partitioned) that are returning the same revision versus the case where
all R to N* responses return different revisions.

>> I’ll see how easy it is to return the first value while we ponder the other question.
>>
>> * I say "R to N" to mean fabric will wait for at least R responses (or timeout) but
up to N responses (or timeout) if the responses vary.

>> B.
>>
>>> On 4 Apr 2015, at 02:08, Mutton, James <jmutton@akamai.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> * Report the number of r_met failed conditions to a statistical aggregator for
alerting or trending on client-visible behavior.
>>> * Pause some operation for a time if possible, retry later.
>>> * Possibly re-resolve and use another cluster that is more healthy or less loaded
>>> * Indicate some hidden failure or bug in how shards got moved around/restored
from down nodes

>>> </JamesM>

r= value is higher than the number of replicas (so that it returns r_met:false)

When you receive the r_met:false indication, however we end up conveying it, what will you
do? Retry until r_met:true?

to W nodes.  For behavior to be consistent between R and W, R should be considered to be met
when R “matching” results have been found, if we treat “matching” == “successful”.
 I believe this to be a more-correct interpretation of R-W consistency then treating R-satisfied
as “found-but-not-matching” since it matches the complete positive of W's “successfully-written”.
 For scope, W acts for both current versions and historical revision updates (e.g. resolving
conflicts).  W also functions in bulk operations so R should function in multi-key requests
as well if it’s to be consistent.

these branches to see that the _r_met was present, that worked.  I also made some quick modifications
to return a 203 to see how some clients behaved.  Here are my test results: https://gist.github.com/jamutton/c823fdac328777e22646

worked while the server was returning a 203 and/or the meta-field.  A quick test-with replication
was mixed.  I did a replicate into a couchdb 1.6 machine and although I did see some errors,
replication succeeded (the errors were related to checkpointing the target and my 1.6 could
have been messed up).  All that to say that where I tested it, returning a 203 on R was accepted
behavior by clients, just as returning a 202 on W.  By no means is that extensive but at least
indicative.  So, I think both approaches, field and status-code, are possible for single key
requests (more on that in a second) and whether it’s status or field, I favor at least having
consistency with W.  We could also have consistency by converting W’s 202 to a to be an
in-document meta field like _w_met and only present when ?is_w_met=true is present on the
query string.  That feels more drastic.

approach of reads and writes diverges.  Writes are still individual doc-updates, whereas reads
of multi-docs are basically a “view” even if it’s all_docs.  IMHO, views could be called
 out of scope for when R is Applied.  It doesn’t even descend into doc_open to apply R unless
“keys” are specified and normal views without include_docs would do the same IIRC.  This
approach of calling all views out of scope because they could only even be in scope under
certain circumstances, leaves the door open still for either a status-code or field (and again,
if using a field it would be more consistent API behavior to switch W to behave the same)

Paul was concerned about.

conflicts=true, etc) would avoid compatibility breaks and would clearly put the onus on those
supplying it to tolerate the presence of the extra reserved field.

"?r=" means "wait

I've seen it lead to

There's no

that can be sent in all

<kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
inform the user when it is

<paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>

here.

to have Couch respond with
that responded to a read
they issued an r=2 request
on your point of view in
:)

we could return this information
when I started
able to return it in a subset

be to either include a new
be a boolean indicating if the
for the document. The second
and lastly was the status code as

best, but unfortunately that
we throw an error rather than
name. Thus having something
body was a non-starter.
the document body then we limit
a single document is
can't buffer an entire
as well as multi-doc
may have not had a properly

of meeting the read quorum
confusing on how you respond to
For instance, if we read
requirement, but what should
different (technically, in
decision on what to return

that it'd be nice to return
I think its much less clear
of cases that we can

forward, hopefully it

Samuel Newson <

with Mike that we can disagree on
he misled you, though.

not have read or write quorums at
one that matters, this is
to correct.

only how many of the n possible
http response.

in the situation where one write is
means we’ve chosen availability
a 500 or closed the connection
GET could return the document (a
as anti-entropy makes the
a 409 could, likewise,
which might then 'win', altering

this: the ’n’ copies of your data
by the clustered layer
that converges those
Fabric is converting the 3
result as best it can. Older
calling both of them 201. I
in the 202 distinction. About the
your cluster for connectivity
period of 202’s, as it would be an

2.0 would have to ensure
after the fact. That is,
agree to roll forward or
In short, we’d have to introduce
say). While this would be a great
present, and no amount of
rather be honest about our

Nathan Vander Wilt <

agreed that this was a bug when I
back the original thread here
recall in my OP:
is a related issue tracked internally

here and tracking this down. 203
for this to me too. Best wishes

AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org>

the behaviour you describe is not

reason that you cannot get strong
"failed" writes (those that
into success (N copies) as long as

Mutton, James <jmutton@akamai.com>

it.  I drafted an email in early
I could get involved again
currently in 2.0 appears
not satisfied in fabric,
responds with a {stop, …}
r_not_met which triggers a
results in an {ok, …} with
are in the list.  The final doc
and thusly to
the fact that the answer was not

to fix by a change in
read_repair.  handle_response
that forward, or allow
able to satisfy acc.r.  I can’t
of sending a 202, but it’s
you cite.  Plus it just seems
not reads.

at 14:06, Nathan Vander Wilt <

been following CouchDB 2.0 roadmap but I was
today and realized that perhaps
2.0 might provide an
implementation.

but my understanding is that
ignores the read durability
some level of quorum, and get
when you ?r=N it really
even just a single
document you will get a successful

no way to actually use the quasi-Dynamo
between consistency or availability
result, BigCouch instead just
of what a given request
a 202 write as a 500, rather
whether a write did NOT
$who_knows_how_many nodes were

confirmed and acknowledged as a serious bug
at least) but could not be

breaking backwards compatibility with
durability issue now be fixed

statement has not been endorsed by actual