couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Buddhika Jayawardhana <buddhika...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>
Subject Re: GSoc 2015 | COUCHDB-1743 Make the view server & protocol faster
Date Sun, 22 Mar 2015 04:54:36 GMT
Dear Jan, Robert other devs,

I have prepared a draft proposal for the project. It can be found on this
link
<https://docs.google.com/a/cse.mrt.ac.lk/document/d/1Yrj73vXAJjBA0-i_Nt78FUipy5oTtZ42UG2TlXmH4y0/edit?usp=sharing>.
It is neither complete nor contain much technical details. It is completely
based on what you have told me and what I have read so far. Please add your
comments to improve the proposal and point me out if I have misunderstood
anything you have told me or about the project.

I think I need a deep understanding on stdio. Please point me some
direction to learn them.

Thank You.

On 21 March 2015 at 22:16, Buddhika Jayawardhana <buddhika.12@cse.mrt.ac.lk>
wrote:

> Thank You Robert, I already have started  writing the proposal. I will
> share the link of the google doc tomorrow morning.
>
> On 21 March 2015 at 21:08, Robert Kowalski <rok@kowalski.gd> wrote:
>
>> Hi Buddhika,
>>
>> no worries - the preparation for each GSoC project is different for
>> every student. Some projects need more background knowledge in advance
>> and have to integrate in other way into the codebase, so don't worry
>> that other folks are submitting code!
>>
>> I would suggest to start writing the proposal as far as you can, we
>> will also give you feedback. The deadline is for submissions is soon.
>>
>> I tried to write up some tips for writing the two sections you are
>> worried about:
>>
>> For the "background" section you can just rely on the informations the
>> community provides plus the background information you gained from
>> reading the docs (e.g. the current QueryServer protocol [1], the way
>> the QueryServer operates today and more general informations, like how
>> you query CouchDB and how you are writing views) - so no worries!
>>
>> Regarding the design/description: Jan already gave some suggestions
>> regarding the steps that are needed. Are there steps missing in
>> between? How do you measure the success of the project? How do you
>> plan to work together with Jan & the community? Also describe how you
>> going to work: are you planning to work iterative, waterfall, using
>> techniques like test-driven-development, by building a prototype etc?
>>
>> I hope I could provide some hints!
>>

>> [1] http://docs.couchdb.org/en/1.6.1/query-server/protocol.html
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Buddhika Jayawardhana
>> <buddhika.12@cse.mrt.ac.lk> wrote:
>> > Hi Robert,
>> >
>> > I I saw some other applicants are submitting pieces of codes. But I am
>> > still reading the documents Jan and others have sent me.
>> >

>> >    - I am middle of learnYouSomeErlang book.
>> >    - I have around 8 chapters to read in Couch-DB "The Definitive
>> Guide".
>> >    - Lots of documentation.
>> >    - Most of the source code.
>> >

>> > I looked at the template that you have sent me and it requires a
>> > description about the current situation of the project. And design/
>> > description of the work.
>> > I do not have any confidence to write those two paragraphs. But I can
>> start
>> > to write the proposal based on the thinks that Jan have
>> described(Though I
>> > don't understand all of them). Shall I start that way? or is there any
>> > other better way.
>> >
>> > Waiting for your advices.

>> current
>> not