couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Kowalski <...@kowalski.gd>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Move transactional email out of dev@
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2015 00:35:10 GMT
I like the idea of a weekly digest, but just if we find anyone who
implements it. It should not block us in a mid-term to remove the
autogenerated spam from the main dev ML that so many folks dislike.

I really like all the ideas and discussions around that topic and I
would really like to get to a solution in the short term. We still can
change our solution if we get a lot of feedback that the proposed
solutions don't work, but I think it is a good start just to move the
automatic traffic away from dev.

My perspective and persona: Robert, as a paid developer working
~8hrs/day on CouchDB as part of his job he does not read that auto
generated mails. If he is interested in changes, he watches the repos.
Robert puts a lot of effort into the project after work in his spare
time. The automated mails makes it hard for him to navigate between
discussions for Fauxton, Erlang or the Website in his private mailbox.
After work he deletes ~10-20 mails that are redundant (notifications
via github watch, dev, jira, irc-channel) every day. Robert likes if
proposals from the Fauxton group (e.g. coding guidelines) are also
visible to the Erlang folks and are sparking discussions there too.

To be honest I have no real opinion if all auto-mails should go to
commits@, an additional gh@-list or somewhere else. I would just like
to have real human input for ideas, proposals, discussions, votes etc.
on the ML.

Current problem: many folks complain about spamming from jira and github at dev
Solution: don't spam on dev mailing list

Experiment: I would like to get feedback in max 72hrs from someone who
really depends in real life, on a daily basis on the auto-generated
mails on dev, and if so, is not able to sign up for a separate new
list or take care in another way to find out what happens in the
project. I think that is the problem we try to find a solution for,
and so far I haven't met someone who has that problem, but it might be
my personal bias.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:22 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Maybe that can be changed in JIRA?
>>
>> Yes we can: https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/COUCHDB/notifications
>>
>> Actual setting has to be done by INFRA, I’d say we only keep Issue Created and
Issue Commented.